Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:55 AM   #1

I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures in a nightclub, with the purpose of them being displayed within minutes of taking them.

Is there anyway I can set up a program to rotate the pictures the right way round, resize them for the projector and turn them into a slideshow automatically? Also allowing me to put in advertising screens in between shots every 50 pictures or so?

Thanks for your help.

Buceph.
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:21 PM   #2

I thought that it was possible to script irfanview to do the auto resizing and save them out.

Then you'd just need a program that rotates images automatically. A slide show that build its list dynamically (instead of building up the list of files by reading the directory at the start and then never again.) I don't know something that does this.

And ad should is easy. Just create an image of the ad and slip it into the list of images.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:17 PM   #3

Another problem you will probably have is that the colors will be off on the projector. Every projector I've used to project my images (5 or so) have had incorrect colors. Even really expensive ($30,000+) convention sized projectors.

So you're going to have to deal with that problem too.

Eric
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:35 PM   #4

Tempo,

You could project them using a website with an autorefresh page (java script) and keep your advertising as the page footer.

Run it off a PC and use a DLP projector. My Infocus projects images real nice.

As far as rotating them, maybe just take them landscape so you don't have to turn them.

Some cameras allow you to turn photos in-camera as you view them.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:16 PM   #5

This is Tempo, Tempo being amazingly enough my temporary account, remembering passwords, too much trouble.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not too worried about the colouring for the projector, and the ad is more for the organisation running the event, putting their logo in every 50 shots or so. I'm part of the organisation so this is work within the body, not really photography work on my own. And this is very much a case of people liking to see pictures of themselves, while in a nightclub, and slightly drunk. Something to make the night stand out, and then hosting the shots on a website, for the memories(or lack of).

There is no need for artisticness or professionalism with this, it's very much a case of snapshots, but I'd still prefer to be taking pictures, and enjoying myself than working out a slideshow, resizing shots etc.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:18 AM   #6

I have another one, it's not free but it's but a wedding photographer named David Jay. http://www.showitfast.com/
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:52 AM   #7

I think I might just use the slideshow element of Adobe Bridge. It lets you rotate during the slideshow. It's fairly basic but more or less what I am looking for. Provided it's adjustment of pictures to fit the screen will work if I set the resolution the same as the projector.

There also must be some way of create a batch resize option.

Buceph.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:38 PM   #8

I believe Adobe Bridge only comes with PhotoShop CS2? If so, you can easily do batch processing within photoshop... they call them "Actions". It records your keystrokes, and then you can select a set of files, apply the action to them.

It didn't take much messing around (and a touch of reading the manual) before I was able to make some Actions fairly easily.

The big thing you have to worry about is you want to add pictures to the folder and have them automatically be added to the slide show. Most slide show programs I've ever seen read the list of files once, and never update it. So make sure whatever you look at has this feature, or you'll be stuck with restarting the software each time you want it to pick up the new files.

Eric
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:30 PM   #9

Yes that will be a problem because I don't want to have what I'm doing on the computer projecting onto the screen in the middle of a nightclub. It wouldn't be the most mood enhancing of things to see. And I won't have access to the controls of the projector. It will be set up once and I'll have to leave it on from that.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 5:48 AM   #10

If the computer you will be using hasdual display functionality, you set the projector to be the primary, and the screen the secondary. That way, when you full-screen something, it will go to the projector, and you monitor will still allow you to work on the changes.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote