Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:21 PM   #1

I have just bought a canon a95 and need a mains power adapter for it, I have already got one for my old fuji 2600 which is classed as a "Universal" adapter it gives various power outlets including 1.5,3,4.5,6,7.5, the canon takes 4.3,will the extra 0.2 cause any damage? or will it be safe to use this adapter? or should I buy the dedicated canon one?

thanks in anticipation

pete :?
pepperpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:44 PM   #2

Don't the Canon PowerShot Axx series cameras run off of AA batteries?
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:04 AM   #3

Hya RyanH, yes, the camera does run off aa's, but I'm wanting to try time-lapse piccies controlled by the computer and need a long lasting power source, I'm a bit tight - fisted so don't want to be spending money if it's not really needed!

pete
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:09 AM   #4

200mv is neither here nor there. Canon are always doing that, stating weird voltages for their cameras, maybe its too frighten users into buying their adaptors. But please check the polarity of the output, the tip is normally +. the current should be at least 1250 ma. The output should be DC regulated. CHECK THE VOLTAGE WITH A METER. I always use multivoltage power supplies except my 10d whch the crafty bas*&^% made the input the shape of the battery. But on my S2/is its a standard plug so I use my adaptor.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:19 AM   #5

Oh I am a silly billy, or in plain English a dickhead. You will of course have to ascertain you have the correct plug for the camera. Those multivoltage transformers come with a set of plugs.

Sorry about that.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:43 PM   #6

Thanks Geri, or should that be Mr. Atric? just checked all my adapters, none have more than 650 ma current, looks like forking out again, might as well go for the canon kit,

thanks again,

pete
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:33 PM   #7

pepperpicker wrote:
Quote:
just checked all my adapters, none have more than 650 ma current,
These are probably "old generation" adapters, those with a 60/50 Hz transformer inside (theyfeel a bit heavy).

"New generation" adapter are able to supply quite high current , over 2000 mA is not rare, they are "universal style" too, with different voltage choices, and may be much more economic than the Canon part. They are very light too (they are based on switching technology like in computer power supply)

As geriatric warns, check the polarity since you can inverse it with each of the plugs of the kit.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:00 AM   #8

yup! adapters just like me, old generation, never mind, now sent for canon kit, thanks for replies peeps, by the way KCan, that's a big beautiful country you live in

ta muchly all,

pete