Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:30 PM   #1

I am presently fighting with Canon regarding my S2 IS in use since Aug. 2/05. When I say in use I am a grandchild picture taker, so have probably taken in the order of 200-300 pics in the last month.

The viewfinder does not viewfind and the Spot AE Point doesn't point. What else will go wrong!!

I contend Canon should give me an over the counter swap, they say at their discretion and offer 3 weeks for repair. I am presently appealing to the Pres. of Canon Canada.

If they don't offer me the swap I willopt to leave Canon for another maker but at this point have no idea who to turn to. Their S2 IS will become a boat anchor. I'm looking for something in the same price range ($600 CDN), 5 megapixels, swivel LCD monitor, IS, 12 X Optical Zoom, and last but not least ISO greater than 400.

Does anyone have some ideas what I should be looking at? Thanks for your help!!
mackcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:14 PM   #2

There is nothing that fits all your criteria.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 5:34 AM   #3

Thats why I bought the S2 knowing that some were having lots of trouble with theirs. Nothing matches all its features, althoug ISO of 1600 would have been nice.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:16 PM   #4

I'd take the Panasonic FZ30 over the S2IS although it probably wasn't available when you bought your S2.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:55 PM   #5

Hi Lucky;

thanks for the feedback. Steve doesn't have it reviewed as yet, just the FZ 20. The one item that I really appreciate on the S2 is the articulated LCD screen which I have found useful for taking pics of crawling babies, pets etc. without having to get down on my 70 yr. old knees. It's really fun for self pics with grand kids as well.

It appears that Canon and myself have come to an agreement. They are going to replace the camera and I will stop harrassing their president with letters outlining the problems that occurred with the S2.

All's well that ends well, but am looking forward to Steve's review FZ 30.

Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6

mackcam,

I didn't upgrade from the FZ10 to the FZ20 because I didn't see enough changes to make it worthwhile. I may upgrade to the FZ30 since it has a swivel LCD. Since your S2 IS has essentially the same features as a FZ30, including a swivel LCD, I really see no reason for you to trade one for the other. The reason I may NOT upgrade to the FZ30 is that I'd like to have a digicam that meets the criteria that you laid out in your first post, and I believe one will become available within the next year.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:14 AM   #7

Dpreview has a review on the FZ30. From what I can tell, the camera is GREAT to use, but the image quality is worse than that of the FZ20. More noise.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also, its $150 more than the S2. And the S2 was already more than I realy wanted to spend.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:10 PM   #8

Carrots--just curious, how much did the S2 IS cost is SA. I paid $642 CDN, that relates to approx. $550 US.

Mack C. in Brooklin ON
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:14 AM   #9

At that time's exchange rate (R6.80 to a dollar), at that time's price, it was R4600. About $675.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"At todays exhange rate (R6.40 to a $), at R4500 (current best price) its $703.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"At the beginning of last year, it was R12 to a dollar. Speakers I wanted as a bargain at $150. Except here I paid R2400, directly from the importer. At todays exchange rate, it was $375. Ouch!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It made me sad to see "Only $150, plus free overnight delivery anywhere in the US" on websites :-(

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"