Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2003, 9:59 AM   #1

Default best low light focusing??

What $400 - 600 cameras have the best low-light focusing? I just returned a Fuji 3800 because, even though the lens/camera produced great shots, focusing was quite poor in normal household room light (where I probably take half my pictures of the kids). I am considering going up to the Fuji S602 because it has infrared and manual focus, or down to the Sony P7, but I'm not thrilled at going that far downscale. Does anybody have an objective rating system in their reviews? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Will98D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2003, 11:05 AM   #2

The Olympus C4040 or C5050 have great low level optics. I know that you can purchase the C4040 within your price range. The C5050 runs about $675 on the web.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 11:31 AM   #3
lg

My camera has a focus assist light, and will take sharply focused pictures in total darkness (with flash) at up to 9 feet. This is a nice feature you might want to look for.

The brighter optics of the cameras Phil suggested will also greatly enhance the camera's ability to focus in low light situations. A 1.8 lens will gather much more light than an f2.8 lens.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 11:51 AM   #4

The C4040 does not have a photo assist lamp but the C5050 does.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 3:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the info... I'll check those out. Anybody have experience with cameras with longer lenses (like the Oly C-730 or the Fuji S602)??
Will98D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 5:00 PM   #6

There's no denying the fact that the C-730 is a poor low-light 'focuser', but it depecds on what you consider to be low-light I suppose.

I have used mine in woodland on an overcast day and it focused just fine, but indoors at night with fairly low lighting it does struggle. Having said that though, I usually find myself using manual focusing in those conditions anyway which solves that problem.

I have a little laser pointer say here on my desk with an assortment of heads because that is apparently one solution, but I am yet to do some tests with it.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 5:07 PM   #7
lg

Absolutely! If you want a long zoom camera, I'd recommend the C-2100 over the 730 because it has image stabilization. It's hard to hand hold a non-stabilized 8-10x zoom lens at it's maximum focal length and get sharply focused shots in moderate to low light conditions. I haven't tried out a 730, but I found it difficult to duplicate the same clear shots with a friend's 720 (8x zoom). An owner of a Fuji S602 and I were comparing cameras, and he was very impressed with the additional range and how functional the IS system was at removing camera shake. If you'd like more information or have specific questions about the C-2100, just let me know.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 8:51 PM   #8

Default Olympus C-700 Series Low Light Focusing

I've used the Olympus C-700, C-720 & C-730. The C-720 was the worst of the lot for low light focusing, but there were several things I didn't like about the C-720 model - it just seemed "dumber" than the C-700 & C-730. I haven't tried the manual focus (I'll read up on that tonight, THX), but I have had good luck shooting in the sports mode under low light. Any type of side lighting greatly helps the C series under low light. BUT - I have taken really superb daylight shots with the C-700 & C-730. In fact, I'm getting really great 11X14 blow ups on my Epson 2200 with the C-730 on shots taken in early morning and and late afternoon.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote