Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2003, 10:42 AM   #1

Default What about ebay ? :)

Hi all,
I was just wondering if you guys are ebay members and if you buy from there.

Im in Canada, I don't know it that is a factor, but when I buy things on ebay, I save a lot. Examples : I bought a olympus c-4000 and I saved 100 can$, EVEN if I paid in USD !! I bought a 128 megs smartmedia card and I save 20 can$ , too! That's great!
I've been satisfied every time...

What do you think of ebay ? Do you buy stuff for your digit cam from there ?
Do u have some experiences to share ?
Olivier21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2003, 11:04 AM   #2

As with all auction site buyer beware. I have had great purchases through Ebay. I always check comments on the seller to determine if I want to bid on their item. The first rule of Ebay is : Know what the item cost new. I have seen bidders that go crazy and bid more that what an item would cost new. I have sold and bought on Ebay over 80 items.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 11:22 AM   #3
lg

Yes, I do business on eBay, both buying and selling. I've had a great experience overall, with only 1 bad experience buying. If you examine a Seller's feedback very carefully, it's been my experience that it is a very good indicator of the service you can expect.

I bought an item from a Seller having an overall rating of over 4000, with only 20 or so negative feedback comments. The response from the Seller on the negative comments seemed reasonable, so I proceeded with the purchase. After waiting 5 business days after I had paid for the item, I contacted the Seller inquiring about my item. The seller explained that her baby had been in the hospital for a week, was very apologetic, and said my item would be shipped out in the next two days and she would confirm shipment by eMail.

Three days later, there was still no response, and I noticed that 8/10 of the new entries to her feedback since I had sent in my payment were negative. Comparing these to all the negative feedback she had received, there was a definite pattern of extremely slow shipment at best, and Seller Non-Performance at worst. There were several cases where she blamed family problems for the delays. I sent a very pointed eMail at that time explaining that if she could not confirm shipment I intended to file a Seller Non-Performance complaint with eBay. I got an immediate reply stating that my item had been shipped that day, again apologizing for any trouble. I did finally receive the item, almost a month after I had paid for it. The postmark confirmed that it wasn't shipped when promised, but almost a week later. I entered as accurate and unemotional negative feedback as I could, but the seller still responding with the "baby in the hospital" routine. I had to followup with a reply that she had lied about shipping to avoid me filing a complaint and that I doubted her response was true.

Bottom line? VERY positve experience with eBay, even though this one transaction was a bit nerve-wracking wondering for a month if I was going to be out some cash. By far and large, this is the exception to the rule. From now on, I will read ALL of a person's negative and neutral feedback, no matter how high their rating, before bidding on an item, and check it carefully to see if there is any merit to the complaints.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 12:00 PM   #4

I buy and sell on eBay as well--have been for the past four years. Overall the experience has been overwhelmingly positive. BUT, there are certain things I would NEVER buy through eBay, and from my observations, the risk of fraud/misinformation/hassle seems to be higher for some categories than others.

For example, another hobby of mine is building scale models. These are what I consider "static" goods--they don't have moving mechanisms that can break, no electronic parts, etc. Once you get the package from the seller, you check the contents, and if everything's there, that's that. Whereas something electronic (like a digital camera or a computer component or whatever)--you don't know what kind of use/abuse they were subjected to. There is a thread on RPD right now from a buyer whose eBay purchase of a Sony digital camera went sour (the camera stopped working) after three months. Even though he says he got a great deal on the camera, he is now essentially stuck with the purchase (it's outside the warranty period, too).

On eBay, caveat emptor rules supreme.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 12:57 PM   #5

Well I bought the c-4000 camera and it is brand new , in the box, sealed, one year warranty etc etc etc so if my camera is wrecked, I it olympus matters.. not the seller's ... the seller that I bought the cam own a camera business in toronto so I'm confident that there will be no problem..

By the way, for those who sells stuff on ebay, how can you gain buyers confidence when you got no feedback (essentially because you are a new seller..) ???
Olivier21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:17 PM   #6
lg

1. In your description, fully disclose anything that might make YOU not want to buy the item if you were a bidder.
2. Make sure the picture of your item is clear. If multiple pictures are used, enlarge them to 800x600 and pay the extra money for the supersize option. Be sure to show any defects you noted.
3. Offer a guarantee and stand behind it. Be sure it's one you can live with; here's the one I use:

This ____ is not offered "as is". I am glad to offer a 5 day return less fees and shipping if you feel that I have not correctly represented this item.

I'm no expert, and I never sold anything on eBay before last November, but here's an example of one of my closed auctions. I hope the example will be helpful!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:24 PM   #7

Everything LG wrote is highly important. I sell the same way I buy, I want to be treated fairly. If you have a defect in something you might sell place it in caps or bold letters. You might ask why someone would buy anything broken. I have often needed parts for my Talking Mother Geese (I have five of them) and I would purchase ones for parts. Send an email to the buyer to find out if they were happy with what they bought and ask them to leave feedback.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 8:41 PM   #8

I have conducted nearly 300 ebay transactions (including selling off my film SLR), with just a few minor problems. It is very important to list any imprefections in any item being sold - overstate, in fact, and let your posted photo do the talking. This makes for very happy buyers. When buying, check the feedback. If a buyer has more than a 1-2 negatives per 100 transactions, review very carefully. Ofen negatives appear early in a ebayers membership when the learning curve is a little harder (especially on shipping a sold itme in a timely manner). If negatives continue on a regular basis, take a pass. Check the shipping charges - a buyer can really get ripped-off on this count . I always state that the buyer will pay exact shipping, no mark-up. And if the buyer pays me too much shipping (more than few dollars), I refund the difference. My final advice is do not buy a high cost item from a new seller; and if you're a new seller, get you ratings by being a good buyer before you list items for sale.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:17 AM   #9

yes, buying and selling....I'm in the classic video game (atari, colecovision )

I'm also from canada and I got my cam from ebay (olympus 3000) and I save around 150$ CAD same for the smartmedia card 64 meg, i got 2 on ebay for 20$ CAD each (with shipping). here is canada it was around 50$ CAD + tax

I did over 500 transactions and only got 3 or 4 problems.....
maximebeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote