Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1

I recently inheriteda 1959 German SLR and was looking on eBay to see if it had any collector value. One of the listings was for an adapter that allowed the use ofits 45 year old lens on a Canon EOS (digital). Manual focus & stopped-down exposure, of course. The adapter cost much more than the originall camera & lens are worth. My question is what would be so special about such a lens that a photographer would pay $200 (yep, $200) for the adapter ring to use it on a shiny new DSLR?
guy48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:46 PM   #2

In some cases the optical quality is really, really stunning on some of the older lenses.
They also might be made for manual focusing, which means they have a much better manual focus ring and gearing. If you do a lot of macro work, for example, manual focus is what you'll do almost all the time.

But for most people, it isn't worth it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:01 AM   #3

I'd love to try it but there's no way I'm going to spend $200 for an adapter ring. IF one is ever made to adapt to Minolta and IF it drops below $50 I might. Makes more sense for me to get a MF-to-AF ring so I can use all my old Minolta lenses withmy 7D.

Maybe my thinking is outdated but I thought the resolution of digital wouldn't be up to the task of distinguishing an "exceptional" lens from a "really good" one. ?

If it matters, the old camera I'm referring to is a 1959 Voigtlander Bessamatic. Mint in the box with 35 & 50mm lenses, perfect leather case and folding flash. I hate to even display it for fear that age will catch up to it & ruin the leather & rubber parts.
guy48065 is offline   Reply With Quote