Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:40 AM   #11

I thnik Jim has a number of good points. Let me just throw one (BULLSHIT ALERT: possibly off-the-wall) suggestion into the mix. I tend to find Kodak color by default on the cartoonish side. It may be that the compression is showing artifacts, not because the compression is too high, but because the color handling is pushing the colors too close together in the over-saturated direction. If you play with the color settings, and tone the colors down, you may find that the artifacts disappear. Similarly, if there is a noise level adjustment, if you tone down the smoothing, you may leave enough texture in the raw image that it doesn't start blocking up on compression. Again, I have no basis in fact for this suggestion -- it is just an hypothesis. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Administrator

tclune wrote:
Quote:
I thnik Jim has a number of good points. Let me just throw one (BULLSHIT ALERT: possibly off-the-wall) suggestion into the mix. I tend to find Kodak color by default on the cartoonish side. It may be that the compression is showing artifacts, not because the compression is too high, but because the color handling is pushing the colors too close together in the over-saturated direction. If you play with the color settings, and tone the colors down, you may find that the artifacts disappear. Similarly, if there is a noise level adjustment, if you tone down the smoothing, you may leave enough texture in the raw image that it doesn't start blocking up on compression. Again, I have no basis in fact for this suggestion -- it is just an hypothesis. FWIW
You might be on to something.... I've noticed it, too (for a long time with these models). But, it's not always consistant with the same camera. That's why I made this comment in one of my previous posts in this thread that they may be changing something based on some type of scene analysis:

Quote:
There is something odd going on with how they seem to do it. I've often suspected something like that was going on for how they handle color, too (a peculiar way some of their cameras seem to handle sky color -- almost as if they are changing some kind of internal curves when they recognize sky in an image to make it appear to be a deeper blue. It seems to be more than just saturatoin and contrast. Not all models exhibit this behavior.
(typo in saturation not intended). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote