Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:15 AM   #1

Any one know how long the lion batterys for these and other cameras will still be available for ?, ie i have lions in both my konica kd 500 and panasonic fz 2, now thinking to buy a fuji f10/ 11. that also has a lion ,I want to still be using these cams in 5 / 10 years so should i be looking for my next camera to be AA battery or lions any one know ?, in view of the fact ive been told lions only last 1/2 years at most .
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Lithium Ion batteries have a lot longer life than six months... I have several that are four or more years old. The issue of AA's vs those that are specific to a particular camera depends on a lot on how much power is required. Canon DSLRs (except the Rebel XT) use a propietary camcorder type battery that can outlast a half dozen set of AA's. Battery types shouldn't be a major consideration in choosing a camera, but could be a "tie breaker". Lithium Ion AA rechargables are available and work very well.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Administrator

rodo wrote:
Quote:
Any one know how long the lion batterys for these and other cameras will still be available for ?, ie i have lions in both my konica kd 500 and panasonic fz 2, now thinking to buy a fuji f10/ 11. that also has a lion ,I want to still be using these cams in 5 / 10 years so should i be looking for my next camera to be AA battery or lions any one know ?, in view of the fact ive been told lions only last 1/2 years at most .
1/2 year at the most, huh?

How long have you had your Konica KD-500z, and do you still have the factory DR-LB4 battery that came with it?

I bought a Konica KD-510z in July 2003, and the original battery still holds a charge just fine (and it's been recharged hundreds of times over the past couple of years, as I tend to do this at least every other day).

I've also got a mobile phone that is almost 3 years old that still holds it's charge just fine (using a Lithium Ion Battery), although I am starting to detect that it's not as good as it once was (needs recharging more often lately). My wife has one this old, too (and I haven't noticed her complaining about her battery life, yet).

They are probably getting close to the end of their lifecycle, but I'd certainly expect a modern Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery to last more than 6 months (which is apparently what someone told you). Don't believe everything you hear. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:21 PM   #4

Thank you for your reply and the first guy also , my question als was about if the lion battries are generally going to be made ie available for all the various cams that use them ? seems there are many models and sizes for the differnt cameras, if any one knows if battery makers make the lions for a number of years that would be reasuring to know ,many thanks again , Jim my Kd 500 is refurbished uk , only a month old now , it works much better than either the minolta 600 and the konica 510 i had big problems with, both had focusing isues one a lens lock up , the kd 500 is one of the best cameras ive ever tried ( many ) in the last two years, if i set exposure - 1 . 5 it even focuses indoors at any lengh zoom low light think you might have sujested this ?, amazing but true , white balance superb, no scatching of the body when you slide it on or off , like i had with the 510, out of interest are you still using your famous konica 510 if i may ask ?, when you choose a replacement you can be sure many who read your posts will want to know me included, best bet is you will pick a winner, were all watching im sure , me fuji F 11 seems like the best bet but still going to keep the great kd 500, rgrds
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:36 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Jim my Kd 500 is refurbished uk , only a month old now , it works much better than either the minolta 600 and the konica 510 i had big problems with, both had focusing isues one a lens lock up,the kd 500 is one of the best cameras ive ever tried ( many ) in the last two years
Of course it's a good camera. :-)

As for the KD-510z, you must have gottenalemon. You can calibrate the AF yourself if you need to (whichimpacts focus speed and accuracy). There's a hiddenservice menu you can do it with using a test target. It's the same lens that your KD-500z has. Ditto for the sensor (same one).

The KD-510z is basically a KD-500z with more control (for example: user adjustable ISO speed, contrast, saturation, color, manual exposure), and someminorcosmetic changes.

Quote:
no scatching of the body when you slide it on or off , like i had with the 510
Do you consider this to be bad for a camera that's taken over 8000 photos, cover opened thousands of times (I often open and close thecover between shots, and it's been opened and closed many, many times without taking any photos, too).

Do you want your camera to win a beauty contest or to take photos?

It's been droppedseveral times, kicked by accident (across concrete once), found in the yardwhen I thought it was lostonce, and gone with me everywhere in my pants pocket since July 2003. It's even had beer spilled on it.

Trust me, this camera has held up nicely for what it's been through (even if it is scuffed up a bit here and there and the word "Megapixels" is wearing off of the front cover).

A few quick snapshots of it sitting on a placemat on the kitchen table, using an old Nikon Coolpix 950 (if you look closely you'll see my hands in the reflections holding it).

Another placemat was draped over the back of a chair pushed up to the table as a backdrop. LOL Sorry, I didn't take the time to setupany lighting, or to even crop the images before downsizng 'em.
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:38 PM   #6
Administrator

With lens extended:
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:41 PM   #7
Administrator

And if you want the back:
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:08 PM   #8

Thank you jim , your still using it then,no new camera steves tested temted you eh ? no mention , yes your camera looks fine , no i dont want mine to win any contest but if a camera iswearing such nice shiny nice clothes , i dont want itscratched like any one else would just opening and closing a lens cover ,my 510 scratchedthe inner body , I didnt want that andthis lens cover problembeen mentioned before on forums, also ive seen iy many times looking at photos of seconhand e bay 400 /500/510 konica/minoltas ,the point i was making was that my kd 500 has none of the previous problems i had with the510 /600models beforand its all i hoped it would be after reading how good you thoughtthese cameras were along time ago ,