Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Small Digital Camera with NO shutter lag?

I am used to using a Leica Digilux 1 and depsite the fact that it has a few shortcomings...it has one great advantage...minimal shutter lag. Does anyone know of a small digital camera at 3 MP or more with minimal shutter lag? I like the Sony U20 and DSC-P5, P7, P9...but these have too much shutter lag. Any help would be fantastic.
Yoshimi SuperShat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:10 PM   #2

You migh check out the Casio Ex-S2.

Here's a quote from Steve's review:

\\
Not only is the EX-S2 small, it is also very fast. It's ready to take the first shot faster than you can press the power
button and bring it up to your eye. I'd say it takes about one second to power up and has a shot to shot time of less
than two seconds when using the flash, even faster without it. Unlike most digicams the EX-S2 has almost zero
shutter lag time thanks to the fixed-focus lens. This means you won't miss any of those special pictures because the
camera was still trying to focus.
//

...but don't sell the speed of the Sony U20 short!
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:14 PM   #3

I own the U20 already...so I'm set in the extremely tiny digicam department...I'm looking for something in between the size my Leica Digilux 1 and the U20 that doesn't have any shutter lag. Preferrably 3 or more megapixels as well. Does it exist?
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:20 PM   #4

No,

Only fixed focus digicams in the consumer price range and size have minimal lag. Shutter lag is one of two related problems. The majority of the time lag is due to autofocus time. This is exacerbated by shutter lag which varies a bit among the many digicams, but none are really all that fast until you get to the removable lens dSLR's which are, for all purposes, just like a 35mm film camera in terms of autofocus time and shutter lag.

The smallest camera I'm aware of which has nearly zero shutter lag AND has nearly instant autofocus would be the Olympus E20 followed by the Olympus E10. They are reasonably good sized cameras.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:07 AM   #5

Yoshimi,
when you find it let me know; only fixed focus cams can do that right now, and you will not find a "good one" in the 3-4 mp range w/out lag. I also am looking for one, but will take a look at the U20 as I need to put it in a waterproof bag and take it down white water rapids in my kayak...
Lin, the E20 and E10 are MASSIVE :!: Gorgeous, very effective and by-the-way the E20 was just voted best digital camera of the year in the WTC awards in Europe. But I heard that they suffer from the same lag as all others. Is that not the case?
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:35 AM   #6

Hi Geof,
No, the E10 and E20 have no appreciable shutter lag - the E20 is nearly as fast as my EOS-1D in terms of shutter lag. What they both have as a limitation is that they write from the buffer very slowly so that after the buffer is filled (about 4 shots) you must wait until the files have spooled to the memory before taking another shot.

The shot to shot time with these cameras are as quickly as you press the shutter (I have the E10) up until the buffer is full, then there is an annoying long delay while the buffers spools to the memory.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:42 AM   #7

Yeah...I figured that their was nothing in the consumer range. The Leica was the first I used that didn't have any real delay. I don't want an SLR style digital camera. Let me rephrase my question... which of the small 3-4MP cameras, with a zoom, are know for having little or better shutter lag?