Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:23 AM   #11
Administrator

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
In regards to the claims, the oly time we ever get claims rejecd is when the standard everyday terms and conditions of any waranty are breached. Impact damage, water damage misuse and abuse blah blah blah.
Errr ummmm....

That's my main problem with Extended Warranties (fine print excluding the most common types of problems requiring repair with a Digital Camera).

I see a lot of problems that manufacturers won't cover under warranty (i.e, impact damage where the lens mechanism is damaged, LCD displays cracked, cracked circuit boards after dropping a camera etc.).

Sure, there are other types problems reported, too. But, an insurance policy covering the problems a manufacturer's warranty or anextended warranty may exclude in the "fine print"would seem lke a better way to go (especially given the cost I've seen for some of these extended warranties), and the one's I've looked at have a lot of "fine print".

Also, like computers, digital cameras are continuing to drop in price (more bang for the buck), and don't tend to hold their value very well (especially with entry level models).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:42 AM   #12

The "... and abuse blah blah blah." does leave a loop hole big enough to drive a very large truck through. And I'd bet the legaleese has at least as big a loop hole in it. Might look good now, but will the store still be there in three years? Will the store still have the same policy in three years? Will the coverage be replacement with a camera of the store's choice - one you wouldn't have on a bet?

Store extended warentees do not cover theft, breakage, water damage, ... If you want coverage, talk to your insurance agent.

No, I do not have insurance on our 12 year old truck. Liability insurance, but none that covers the truck itself.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:04 AM   #13

What we are talking about is risk/probablility, cost, and reward. Yes, of course some products will break after one year, otherwise the so called extended warranties wouldn't exist at all. And no doubt the one in20, or1 in 30, or 1 in 40, or one in whatever number ofpeople who buy them think they are worth it. The other 19 in 20, or 29 in 30, or 39 in 40, orxyz in who knows how many have just thrown their money into the wind. Also let's not forget the people who, even though they purchased an "extended warranty", have their claims rejected. To me, there is something that just doesn't seem right about buying a new toy and at the same time paying more money ahead of time because I justhave a feelingit's going to break in a short while. If there were a high probability that these things would break after the manufacturer's warranty ends why do a lot of credit card companies automatically extend the manufacturer's warranty? They addan additionalperiod equal to the original, with the maximum additional period not to exceed one year, provided you made the purchase with their credit card. They probably figure that usually the things are going to work fine for this extended period and that if not they will be excluded by the warrantyor they will go unclaimed, all factors that the people who SELL these things also consider, guaranteed. The previously mentioned guarantee is free and I will not be held liable to any claims made against it.
AtenSpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:54 PM   #14

Depends on the store where you bought it. They are certainly not worth it at the NYC area retailer PC Richard. Back in 2001 I had a Minolta Dimage E201, cost $300 plus $80 for the (2-yr) extended warranty, which claimed they'd replace the camera if they couldn;t fix it. I had 2 years of trouble with it, constantly being serviced for LCD and focus malfunctions. Eventually they gave me a voucher for the price of the camera toward another PC Richard purchase, almost before the ext warranty expired. This after 2 years of trouble. NOT worth it.

However, at Circuit City, their (2YR EXT)plan only cost $30 something for my Canon Powershot A75. When the lens got stuck, I sent it in and they fixed it within 2 weeks. Now it's been working better than ever. If I didn't get the extended I would've had to pay for the cost to repair the camera.

So it depends on the store. Larger chains like Circuit City and Best Buy definately offer good extended service plans. But at smaller chain retailers, like PC Richard, they are more likely to stall fixing (or replacing) the product. And the plans cost more.

I'd say anything more than $50 for an extended plan on today's consumer digital cameras is too much.
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:30 PM   #15

I feel extended warranties are worth it for the most part...if offered by a top notch company. The best camera coverage I have found, is through Ritz. Theirs is not a warranty of any type, it's a damage protection plan. It covers everything except theft and fire...yes, everything else. They'll fix it if they can, if not, they'll replace it.

The down side to their ESP (expanded service plan) as they're called is they are considerably more expensive, but then again, you are covering almost anything you do to the camera like dropping it in the ocean or on a sandy beach or off a cliff for that matter. A lot of people say, "I'll just be careful." That's one of the dumbest things to say, because it's impossible to be careful enough to gaurantee that nothing will happen to the camera. Car insurance wouldn't be needed if that were the case. I don't think people get into accidents on purpose.

I am one that usually always purchases service on items, because I like to not have to worry about things as much even though I am definately one that takes better care of things than most (when I traded in my Rebel for the XT, the 3 stores I went to to trade in all asked me if the camera had ever been used before).\

Basically what is comes down to, is money. Most people don't like dishing out the extra dough and usually don't figure in the cost ahead of time, but some do. It's up to you. I say go for it! Best of luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:48 PM   #16
Administrator

SlapNTickleJr wrote:
Quote:
I feel extended warranties are worth it for the most part...if offered by a top notch company. The best camera coverage I have found, is through Ritz. Theirs is not a warranty of any type, it's a damage protection plan. It covers everything except theft and fire...yes, everything else. They'll fix it if they can, if not, they'll replace it.
Yea, right.

I've heard Ritz salespeople pushing this, too (we'll cover everything).

It's probably one of their highest profit items. They're reselling a plan that's administered by National Electronics Warranty Corporation.

Read the fine print, even though Ritz says this about it:

Quote:
Look over our policy-you'll find no "small print" - you're covered for just about anything that may occur to your equipment.
Click Here

Hmmm... Then why even put in all of this stuff (with the what's not covered sections changing depending on where you're located in some cases). Here's part of the section for Florida residents (and some of this stuff also applies to everyone elsewhere, too):

Quote:

Limit of Liability. The Least of the cost of (1) authorized repairs, (2) replacement with a product with similar features or functionality, (3) reimbursement for authorized repairs or replacement or (4) the price that You paid for this product.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED. (1) INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY AND ALL PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS THAT OCCUR PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS CONTRACT; (2) DAMAGE FROM ACCIDENT, ABUSE, MISUSE, INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT, UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS, and FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS; (3) THIRD PARTY ACTIONS (FIRE, COLLISION, VANDALISM, THEFT, ETC.), THE ELEMENTS OR ACTS OF GOD; (4) DAMAGE CAUSED BY DEFECTIVE BATTERIES OR REPLACEMENT OF DEFECTIVE BATTERIES; (5) DAMAGE COVERED BY OTHER INSURANCE (IN SUCH A CASE, THIS CONTRACT WILL COVER ANY APPLICABLE DEDUCTIBLE); (6) PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE; (7) DAMAGE WHICH IS NOT REPORTED WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER EXPIRATION OF THIS CONTRACT; ( 8 ) COST OF INSTALLATION, REMOVAL OR REINSTALLATION OF THE PRODUCT; (9) DEFECTS KNOWN AS THE "YEAR 2000 PROBLEM", "MILLENNIUM BUG", OR "YEAR 2K"; SPECIFICALLY, ANY FAILURE, MALFUNCTION, DEFECT, INOPERABILITY, BREAKDOWN, DISRUPTION, OR STOPPAGE OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY PRODUCT FUNCTIONS OR THE FUNCTION OF ANY RELATED COMPONENTS CAUSED BY, ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, ANY DESIGN PLANNING OR ENGINEERING INCOMPATIBILITY, OMISSION OR DEFICIENCY WITH THE INCIDENCE OF THE YEAR 2000; (10) PERIODIC CHECKUPS AND/OR MAINTENANCE AS DIRECTED BY THE MANUFACTURER; (11) ANY LOSS OTHER THAN A COVERED BREAKDOWN OF THE PRODUCT; (12) PRODUCTS NOT ORIGINALLY COVERED BY A MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY; (13) NON-FUNCTIONAL OR AESTHETIC PARTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PLASTIC PARTS, KNOBS, SCRATCHES, PEELING AND DENTS; (14) UNAUTHORIZED REPAIRS AND/OR PARTS; (15) PARTS FAILURE DUE TO A MANUFACTURER RECALL; (16) ACCESSORIES USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED PRODUCT; (17) CONSUMER REPLACEABLE ITEMS SUCH AS: BATTERIES, RIBBONS, TAPES, BULBS, HOSES, FILTERS, FUSES, KNOBS, VACUUM CLEANER BELTS, BAGS; AND (18 )PRODUCTS SOLD "AS-IS" INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FLOOR MODELS AND DEMONSTRATION MODELS.

Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:58 PM   #17
Administrator

I don't have anything against Ritz.

Sure, they may be fixing most stuff right now. But, what aboutif profits are thin, andNational Warranty Service decides that they're not making enough with current policies.

I think BillDrew said it best:

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
The "... and abuse blah blah blah." does leave a loop hole big enough to drive a very large truck through. And I'd bet the legaleese has at least as big a loop hole in it.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:17 PM   #18

The things you have copied in are from the website not from the store. The brick and mortar store and the online store are actually different entities. The extended service plan from the store has none of this fine print. It says it covers any kind of damage except fire. If it cannot be repaired they will replace it with the same or comparable model. That being said, I had anfuji f700. The first one was bad out of the box. was replaced at the store. 9 months later the wife broke it. It was repaired, no questions asked. 9 months after thatit died. After 6 weeks at fuji it was declared unrepairable. They replaced it with an f450. Takes good pics but nowhere near a comaparable camera. it is missing all of the features i got the f700 for. complained to ritzcustomer service. Came to an agreement thatwe would keep the camera and get a $150 gift card. That was in july. numerous phone calls later and many promises and we still don't have the card. I haven't heard about anyone elses experience with this plan so i don't know if this the exception or the rule.
hobbit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:29 PM   #19
Administrator

hobbit91 wrote:
Quote:
The things you have copied in are from the website not from the store.
So, you're saying that the ESP plan on the web site is not he same as the ESP plan in the stores?

I didn't know that.

But, I'd still read the policy being sold carefully (whatever is or isn't in it). I'm not going to take a salesperson's word for it that "everything is covered". ;-)

Also, how do you know Ritz will even be in business two yeas from now?

It's not like film processing is a growth industry to be in (and I'd be surprised if that isn'ta significant portion their revenue right now).

Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:34 PM   #20

Once I hit my D7i lens on the tripod leg :X, nothing apparent in the exterior, but the manual zoom got jammed. Since it's still in warranty , I brought it back to the store, then the store shipped it back to Minolta. Later, Minolta said that this is not covered since it's caused by a shock, which was true :crazy:. I paid 500can$ to take another brand new camera.
My belief is this kind of accident is much more probable than camera failure, during or after the basic warranty period, I speak for me only of course :lol:.
So my "policy" is: buying a product I trust, then that's all , no extended tralala. If I can afford the stuff, I can afford to let it fix in case it brooks after the basic warranty, whatever it will be my fault or the camera's itself.
It seems simplistic may be, but arguing is one of the things I hate the most in life; I prefer paying and enjoying what I can afford, while I can afford it, instead of losing nights of good sleep :blah:.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote