Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:55 PM   #21

That was my understanding about the store and the website. Its the reason you can't order from the website and have it shipped to the store. Or return an item from the website to the store. As far as the expanded service plan, the entire policy is only one side of a sheet of paper. No fine print, no references to anything else. It seems to layout what is covered and what is not very clearly. whether they will fully honor it to the customers satisfaction remains to be seen.
hobbit91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:35 PM   #22

In my expirience working for Ritz there has never been a time when someone who had an issue claiming an ESP. Our corporate is pretty good about that.
That being said, it is expensive, and for some people is definitely worth it. For everyone? Not at all.
And by the way.. there are 4 things not included in the coverage:
1. Theft or mysterious dissapearance
2. Cosmetic damage (that doesn't affect function)
3. Fire Damage (aka house fire)
4. Secondary damages (as in you lose income due to your camera being broken)
Hope that clears thigns up a tad.
David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:28 AM   #23

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I see a lot of problems that manufacturers won't cover under warranty (i.e, impact damage where the lens mechanism is damaged, LCD displays cracked, cracked circuit boards after dropping a camera etc.).

ofcouse impact damage isnt covered, a warrnaty isnt a license to be reckless and abuse your products.

Thts loike buying a car and crashing into a pole and then claiming warranty bcse impact damage. Its no to be claimed. Its plain and simple. Your an idiot if you drop ur cam or crack ur lcd etc.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Store extended warentees do not cover theft, breakage, water damage, ... If you want coverage, talk to your insurance agent.

Same case if you drop ur cam in water ur an idiot. Warranties dont suddenly make ur goods unbreakable and water resistent. Extended warranties cover if there is a fault with the unit. Water damage isnt a fault. Its damage brought about by serious misuse and abuse. Theft is not a fault. Its theft, ofcousre this is an INSURANCE issue, not WARRANTY. they are different. And yea insurnace will cover for these things bcse they promote ppl doing dumb things to there goods. And ofcourse after you pay ur excess ($50 upwards) and then get urpremium jacked up, doesnt sound like such a good idea anymore unless ur claiming a 350D
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:40 AM   #25

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Yea, right.

I've heard Ritz salespeople pushing this, too (we'll cover everything).

It's probably one of their highest profit items. They're reselling a plan that's administered by National Electronics Warranty Corporation.

Ofcourse they push it. Like i mentioned earlier extended warranties are high margin items at the time of sale. They however create huge loss at the time of claim. Today alone i processed a claim for a $1500 HP Laser jet which was replaced with a new unit in equivalent specs for arnd $999 rtail today. The entire process took 3 days to be approved. THe extended warranty on this only cost $130 NZD and now its replaced with a $999 item.

And ofcourse the sales ppl are pushing it. The electronic retai industy is one of the most aggressivfe and competitive markets. We run our average sale at arnd 15% profit margin. What crap money to make. Once we start beating ppls deals and mathching prices then add intrest free (THe biggest profit killer ever) we are in negative margin. This is very comon. Extended warranties. smalls, addons CDR, mem sticks etc are the only way to see the light.

And yes the extended warranty will be supplied by some mother insurance company not the retailer, so if they close 2moro i would say there would be very little chance of the warranty dying too.

I own a computer from a place called "The pc Company" they went bust about 18months ago. Yet i still claimed on my faulty HDD about 6 months ago at any major computer shop.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:53 AM   #26
Administrator

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
I see a lot of problems that manufacturers won't cover under warranty (i.e, impact damage where the lens mechanism is damaged, LCD displays cracked, cracked circuit boards after dropping a camera etc.).

ofcouse impact damage isnt covered, a warrnaty isnt a license to be reckless and abuse your products.
That was part of my point (why these things are not often worth the paper they're written on), since this kind of damage is the kind that's more likely to require a repair.

Quote:
Its no to be claimed. Its plain and simple. Your an idiot if you drop ur cam or crack ur lcd etc.

Idiot, huh? LOL Well, you'll find lots of people in the forums that may resent that comment, since many owners have dropped their cameras and damaged them. Also, many forum members probably havechildren to contend with, too. Sure, you could *try* to keep your gear hidden from them. But, you may not always be succesful.

For that matter, I've personally droppeda little Konica RevioKD-510z I ownseveral times. It's even been kicked across concrete once (not on purpose). Beer has even spilled on it, and I once thought it was lost, until some workers erecting a telephone pole found it and knocked on the door asking if it was mine. It apparently dropped out of my pocket when I was doing some yard work.

But, it still works just fine (and no, I don't have any kind of extended warranty on it). For that matter, I didn't have a warranty at all when I bought it. I bought one that was not intended for sale in the U.S., about 2 weeks after it started shipping in Japan. I took my chances, since I wanted this camera and it wasn't for sale in the U.S at that time. After the Konica-Minolta merger, it was marketed here as the Minolta DiMAGE G500.

Now, I don't recalll ever dropping any other camera I've owned (those are larger and I tend to use neck or wrist straps at all times. I have banged some aroundfrom time to time, andI did come close to damaging a different camera about a week ago.

The neck strap came loose at the camera and slid out. Fortunately I was holding the camera at the time, and noticed the strap coming off just as I was getting ready to let go of it. I thought "whew, that was a close call".

Accidents do happen.

P.S.

Come to think of it, I did just breakone camera within the past couple of weeks. I was changing film in an old Nikon N4004S in too big of a hurry.

Basically, I was putting too much tension on the door (pulling on it before it was ready to be opened, since I was anticipating this part while pressing down on the spring loaded cover release lever on the side of the camera). I've done this manytimes in the past.

Well, this time around,I didn't have it pressed far enough before I started pulling the cover open. It broke a little plasticpiece needed to keep the door locked shut. It was my fault. But,I can't complain too much. This old camera has been through an awful lot.

I don't think this model has a particularily good reputation for reliability anyway, and it's not the fastest camera around (not to mention it doesn't have a lot of fancy features like you find in many newer or more advanced models). But, it's sure worked well for me.

In this case, a warranty wouldn't have done me any good anyway. First of all, it's way too old, and nobody would have covered it for this long. Second of all, I doubt a manufacturer would consider this to be covered under warranty. I broke the thing because I was in a hurry and I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing.

It's not worth much (virtually nothing on the used market). But,I'vealways liked thiscamera. :sad:
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote