Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1

Hi guys, has anyone been on http://www.cutestpetcontest.com

im wondering, as i entered a photo of my puppy many months ago, and today recieved a letter from them telling me my photo has made its way to the semi-finals,

and im wondering if anyone has any info on this as they are asking me to pay $25 if i want a 100 words or less biography written in a book which they're also putting my photo in "cutest pets of 2005",

and im getting a little suspicious now, as $25 seems like a lot of money for a short bit of text, i'd just like some opinions weather i should should write a short biography and pay for it, as well as purchase the book from them, or i should just leave it and see what happens?

is it a scam? or is it legit?

Thanks.
twitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:10 PM   #2

A little bit of both. It's legit in that you'll end up in the book, but a scam in that it's unlikely anyone's going to be buying the book except for the entrants in the competition - and almost every entrant will have madetheir way to the semi-finals and be included.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:29 AM   #3

This sounds a lot like http://www.picture.com. They also run a "contest" in which all entrants are "semi-finalists" invited to publish in a book, and then they charge megabucks for the book. They also charge even more megabucks to blow up your print and display it at their annual "convention."

Mr. Pogo is right on target. You'll get your picture published, but it won't be in a book that anyone will buy (except contest entrants). I would just leave it and see what happens. If they publish the photo without getting your money, congratulations. Keep your money in your wallet.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:31 PM   #4

Thanks guys, i think i still have to send off the form which indicates im letting them put the photo in the book, but thats free, apart from the cost to post it to America

Cheers.
twitt is offline   Reply With Quote