Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:21 AM   #1

I'm just a Mom who takes pics. I just bought the Casio EX-S500 (which I love). I'm trying to learn all it can do.

Is there a decent book on digital photography, explaining what all the terms are and what each setting will do (saturation, etc)? Or is there a good website tutorial?

I've looked at the bookstore, and there are sooooo many books. I don't want to just grab one without knowing if it is what I need.

thanks so much for your help

lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:08 AM   #2

Here's an online book. It doesn't seem bad, although I'm sure you could get a book better suited to your particular needs from a bookstore. Anyway, why not start here, because it's free: http://209.196.177.41/contents.htm

After reading this, you may be able to zero in on the particular things that you want to know more about. BTW, don't discount general photogrphy books -- a lot of the good options on, e.g., portrait photography are more about composition than they are about film. Nonetheless, many bookstore seem to keep the general photography books in a different section from the digital photography books (which are often near the computer section. Go figure,)
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:19 AM   #3

There are a large set of National Geographic books about photography.
They cover a wide variety of topics, some on general photography and some specific topics like wildlife or portraits. You might see if your local library has some.

If you're looking to learn about photography in general most of the things are the same between digital and film. So getting a basic photography book about film photography will still help you out. If you're looking for digital topics (like adjusting contrast and saturation within the camera) then you'll want a digital-specific book... and there I can't help you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:17 AM   #4

Tom Ang has written some good books about digital photography. He has one in the KISS (keep it simple series) series that covers quite a lot of ground from basics through to some editing and display ideas. He also has a nice volume that starts with the basics and gets very advanced. His writing is clear and engaging and he uses lots of sample photos to illustrate his ideas.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:52 AM   #5

thanks for all the info. I'm primarily interested in the digital end, so I'm gonna look at the Tom Ang books.

That tutorial was pretty good too.

I went through my manual for my camera, and have some topics I want covered. At least that gives me specifics to check for in the book.

lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote