Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:05 PM   #1

Bunch o' Questions. Figured I would ask them all at once, in one thread, instead of clogging up the forum with different posts.¬* ¬*I'm still kind of new here, so I hope I'm asking right.¬* If this is the wrong forum, or the wrong way to post, I apologize.1] Just curious to know where most people got their camera from...¬* Online retailers, Department store, Camera/Specialty shops, etc?¬* Anyone ever order a camera and have it arrive broken, or missing software, or in horrible condition?¬* How easy was it to return/exchange?2] Do you folks bother with extended warranties?¬* Specifically for Point-and-Click cameras for non-professionals?¬* With prices going down every 8 months or so, do you feel¬* it is worth it to spend the extra money for more insurance?3] Also... How often do dead pixels on the LCDs occur?¬* ¬*Anyone ever find a dead pixel out of the box, or appear over time?¬* I know Sony shrugged off dead pixels on their PSP game systems and basically told consumers to deal with them, because they're "natural" on all LCD products.¬* ¬*I think that's BS, myself... but it got me wondering about how often they occur on their cameras, and other brands.¬* Any bad experiences out there?Thanks.¬*
spooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:07 PM   #2

Odd... I had all of that split into different paragraphs.¬* I dunno why it posted it as one huge¬* glob of text.¬*
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:58 PM   #3

I always buy cameras on-line -- but I feel guilty about it! For example, I recently bought a Panasonic FZ20 for $440 from 17th Street Camera. If I had bought it from my local Ritz, it would have cost $160 more. So, what's to feel guilty about? I really like the fact that the Ritz is there, because I can go in and get the feel of the cameras that I'm considering. If I don't buy from these guys, how can they stay in business to let me get the feel of the equipment?

I never buy extended warranties. I was tempted to with the Panasonic because it has the worst warranty of any product I can ever remember buying -- 90 days unless you live in Canada, where it is a reasonable 1 year. My feeling about things like warranties is that, for anything that's not actually defective, by the time it breaks I'm going to want to upgrade anyway.

I am not personally aware of bad pixels on cameras that I have bought -- but that may just show how unobservant I am.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:58 PM   #4

I have always bought cameras online -- even the first "real" camera I ever had. Technically, I bought it mail order (remember that?) as there was no "online" back then, but same concept.

I have two digital cameras, both bought refurbished. Haven't had any problem with either of them.

The latest one I got from Refubdepot.com. Outside of an availability misrepresentation (it was listed on the website as in stock when it wasn't -- and it was still listed as in stock even after they told me it was on backorder), I got what they advertised. It even had a 90 day Nikon refurbished warranty.

I was offered an extended warranty from refurbdepot, but I didn't take it. According to Consumer Reports, extended warranties generally don't pay off for the comsumer. But, if you buy a thousand dollar camera and can get a three year warranty for 60 bucks, it might be worth it.
A lot of credit cards will automatically double the manufacters warranty on items purchased with that card -- free. Check your card out.

I've heard of people getting dead pixels on their LCD screens, but I don't think it's that common. I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway, if it were only a few. Now, if you got a camera with dead spots on the image sensor, then I'd worry about it!

Only you know whether it's worth it to get extra insurance. The rate would depend on your particular insurance company. If it's a couple bucks extra a month, it would likely be worth it. I'm assuming that you're referring to insurance against theft and/or breakage while you're carrying it out in public, since it seems to me that your homeowners or renters policy would include it in the event of fire or theft in your home.

I feel the guilt, too, about looking at stuff in brick-and-mortar stores and then buying for 50% less online. (Books, mostly.) But sometimes you can find good deals on sale mercandise in-store, and, especially if the item is pricey, it's nice to have that feeling of extra security that comes from having the place where you bought the merchandise right there in your own town.

Grant

Hey, Spooie! Thanks for getting me to the big 100! Not like there's a prize, or anything....
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:16 PM   #5

Thanks, all.¬*