Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 4, 2003, 1:58 AM   #1

Default Help for a new Digicam

My nephew wants to buy a digital camera. His requirements are: 3x zoom; at least 2 MP resolution; size: compact; manual shutter (for taking multiple shots in the same frame); audio; macro; TV out; night focus assistance; panorama. His budget is about US$400. Will be grateful for expert advice. Thanks.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:39 AM   #2

If you're talking about combining multiple pictures in the same frame, I don't think any camera does that...anyway it's pretty useless in the camera; most of us do it in the computer with good photo software...you have a lot more control of the scene. For example, see http://www.pbase.com/image/7198530 This was two pictures taken of a car parked on a street, and the background was removed on one of them to make it able to blend into the second car.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:35 AM   #3

Mike_PEAT is right about deliberate double exposure - that can be done much better with editing software.

I also suggest ignoring any built-in panorama function and instead look for cameras that allow manual settings of f/stop, exposure, and white balance. There are a large number of stitching programs that work better than any provided with a camera - http://www.panoguide.com/ is getting a bit outdated but still is a good starting point for information panoramic.

The requirement for "night focus assistance" indicates he wants to use the camera for low light shots. That use contradicts the requirement for a compact camera. To be able to shoot in low light, you really want a lens that has a large aperature (low f/number). It is not possible to fit a large lens on a very small camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:11 AM   #4

Thank you so much. I did not know it is possible to combine more than one picture using the editing software.

As regards panorama, is it possible to stitch the pictures unless the camera has the provision to take shots for that purpose?

I have seen night shots taken by Minolta dimage X and looks good. That type of pictures should be OK for him.

Kindly advise. Thanks.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 6:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
....As regards panorama, is it possible to stitch the pictures unless the camera has the provision to take shots for that purpose? ...
Do some reading at Panoguide and other panoramic sites. It is possible to make a panorama with any camera, but life will be much easier with manual settings. Like low-light usability, that is a feature you are not likely to find on a very compact camera.

I think your nephew is going to have to make some choices - compact vs. lots of features. And that is just the beginning - photography is full of trade-offs: shutter speed vs depth of field, High ISO vs low noise/grain, ....

Keep TANSFTAAFL* in mind.