Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:34 AM   #1

I am looking to buy a first time camera for a teenager. I am looking at online places like overstocked.com. My concern is that every camera is reconditioned. Are these camera reliable, or is it disaster waiting to happen? Has any one dealt with overstocked.com for digital cameras?
Thanks
bluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:27 PM   #2

I have two digital cameras, both bought refurbished. Haven't had any problem with either of them.

The latest one I got from Refubdepot.com. Outside of an availability misrepresentation (it was listed on the website as in stock when it wasn't -- and it was still listed as in stock even after they told me it was on backorder), I got what they advertised. It even had a 90 day Nikon refurbished warranty.

I was offered an extended warranty from refurbdepot, but I didn't take it. According to Consumer Reports, extended warranties generally don't pay off for the comsumer. But, if you buy a thousand dollar camera and can get a three year warranty for 60 bucks, it might be worth it.
A lot of credit cards will automatically double the manufacters warranty on items purchased with that card -- free. Check your card out.

Seems to me that Overstock wouldn't be in business anymore if there was a pattern of problems with them or the merchandise that they offer.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Administrator

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
Seems to me that Overstock wouldn't be in business anymore if there was a pattern of problems with them or the merchandise that they offer.
Have you seen their financials and earnings (or should I say losses)?

They're a publically traded company (NASDAQ: OSTK), and some of it makes for interesting reading.It's a favorite stock for some traders (short or long depending on the current charts).

I have no position in OSTK(so I'm not trying to influence the stock). You'll need to decide if it's undervalued, overvalued, etc. (as if that really makes any difference with a stock's price). ;-)

As for your problems with them showing incorrect stock, check out the customer reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1634.html(scroll down to the bottom and you'll see them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:07 PM   #4
Administrator

bluke wrote:
Quote:
Are these camera reliable, or is it disaster waiting to happen?
Ithink that more often than not, these cameras are just ones that customers returned for various reasons (not because they were broken or anything).

From my perspective, you'd have a better chance of getting a good camera by going refurbished versus new (since the camerawas checked out again before being repackaged to make sure it was working properly).

The only real downside from my perspective is the shorter warranty period. I once bought a reconditioned camera directly from Nikon, and it was indistinquishable from a brand new camera (camera, manuals, software, etc.). Not a scratch on it anywhere. Of course, YMMV.

I'd make sure you're buying a genuine factory reconditioned camera with a factory warranty (versus one that a vendor may be calling refurbished/reconditioned).

Nikon even has their own web site where they sell them direct HERE

But, you can often find a betterprice from a dealer selling them (and what Nikon sells direct varies quite a bit,as what they have in stock changes frequently).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote