Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1

As I search for a digital camera I cannot understand why anyone would want a camera without a viewfinder....I for one cannot always see the image in the LCD..while I do use the LCD most of the time I think a viewfinder is essential...so does it take up so much space or it it other considerations.
guitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2005, 2:59 PM   #2

I've always assumed its a trade off made for cost reasons. You already have the LCD on the back, and the sensor in side. You just need to use a sensor which is capable of a live-feed to the LCD. DSLR sensors are generally not capable of it.

Higher end cameras (DSLRs) all have optical view finders, but they are more expensive and usually physically larger cameras.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:13 PM   #3

guitone wrote:
Quote:
As I search for a digital camera I cannot understand why anyone would want a camera without a viewfinder....I for one cannot always see the image in the LCD..while I do use the LCD most of the time I think a viewfinder is essential...so does it take up so much space or it it other considerations.
I am in the same boat. The reason however, is because the majority of the buying public are morons. They WANT the large LCD with live preview and use it as a viewfinder. Of course, they will then complain that they get short battery life and blurry photos (as they take photos using one hand with the camera held at arms length).

But basically it is what the unwashed masses seem to want and that is what the camera makers are giving them. The camera manufacturers are interested in maximum sales, not quality cameras. In case you had not noticed, all digital cameras, including the dSLR's, are now considered as being a disposable commodity. Just look at how quickly the models change and how long any given model has a production life. Granted the dSLR's have a longer life cycle, but the changes/advances in sensor technology and electronics still puts them into the disposable category.

Personally, I will not buy a camera without an optical viewfinder.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:53 PM   #4

Parallax. When the focal length is longer than about 100mm (equiv) it is difficult to align an optical viewfinder with the lens. If you look at which cameras have an optical viewfinder, you will notice that their zoom will max out at about 100mm (equiv).

SLRs (digital or chemical) view through the same lens as the senor uses so there is no issue with parallax.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:32 PM   #5

I'll preface my thoughts by saying I'm not an expert in all models of cameras so this is just my limited take on it...

For a "pocket" sized camera, I don't think any actually have a true viewfinder (i.e. where you are actually looking through the lens of the camera). I personally never found looking through that type of "viewfinder" helpful at all (be it film or digital cameras)

I'd rather look at the LCD and see exactly what the lens is seeing. If it is so bright outside I can't see the LCD (which I rarely have this issue) but in such situations, then I'm wearing sunglasses because I can't see at all in that kind of light without them. In turn, I can't see well through the pseudo - overly - small "viewfinder" either (with or without the sunglasses).

It is only in the super dark situations that no viewfinder has ever been a problem for me (personally).

My larger camera has an EVF. This is okay but other than pressing my face against the camera - what is the difference between using it or the LCD?

I miss TRUE optical viewfinders - in which you can look through it and see what the lens sees and it isn't a mini LCD.

But then again, it all comes down to preference. If the majority of cameras without viewfinders sell well and focus groups support that - then that is what the companies will make. Trust me - if they didn't sell and focus groups hated it, they'd change their ways.

It kind of reminds me of telemarketing. EVERYONE always complains about it but until people actually stop RESPONDING (ie buying) to it, then the companies will not change.

Companies only do what makes them money - the second they stop turning a profit is the second they change their ways.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote