Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:58 PM   #1

Hi, I have a Canon 20D which I am still learning to use. My question is, what settings for photographing the full moon? Thanks for your help.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:31 PM   #2

I think this topic was talked about before but im not sure where at. I do believe it said to set your aperture to 8 or just as hight as it would go i guess and set the shutter at about 250. i have not tried this myselfand am not sure ifits rightbut iwould like to try it just havent got around to it. good luck with learning your way around your camera and good luck with the shot. and im sure if im wrong about the advice someone will correct me. good luck!

Dean
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:00 PM   #3

If you mean shooting the moon when it is lit, just rember the old sunny f/16 rule: shoot at f/16 with a shutter speed of 1/ISO. As an example with ISO 100, f/16 @1/100th or f/11 @ 1/200th or f/8 @ 1/400 or ... Bracket from there.

When the sun is shining on the moon, it is a subject in bright sunlight.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:51 AM   #4

Dean and Bill, thanks to you both.

And Bill, I am after the full moon that is on the way.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:41 AM   #5

I would also suggest you try a few shots in Program "P" mode. See what it suggests.

When you say you are trying to photograph the moon, do you mean only the moon, or a night shot with the moon in it? The moon is very bright (at least when its full) so you'll need very different settings to get a shot with just it vs. a moon "scene" as it were.

I have struggled with moon "scenes" but gotten a few good ones. Most have very low shutter speeds.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:43 AM   #6
DBB

ISO 800, f13, 1/400, shot 15 minutes after dawn. Swarovski AT 80 HD, 1100mm adapter, hand held

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:48 PM   #7

Thanks eric s and DBB for replying and your help. It is only the moon that I am after. I have been trying in manual mode,but will give' P' a go.

DBB, That is the type of shot I would like. I will try those settings, but what mode did you take the pic on? Great shot, especially for hand held.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:29 AM   #8
DBB

cock3tail wrote:
Quote:

DBB, That is the type of shot I would like. I will try those settings, but what mode did you take the pic on? Great shot, especially for hand held.
I shoot manual...

Keep in mind that we are talking of the total amount of light, which is a reflection of both aperture and f stop - You don't need my settings, you need the same total amount of light. Since I was shooting handheld as opposed to a tripod, I really had no choice but to go for the higher ISO, which allowed greater speed.

If shooting from a tripod I would have used a lower ISO, A greater aperture, and slower speed...

If you are shooting automatic, than you MUST choose "Spot metering," and set spot metering to the smallest diameter possible.

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:40 PM   #9

DBB wrote:
Quote:
...If you are shooting automatic, than you MUST choose "Spot metering," and set spot metering to the smallest diameter possible.
That won't work: the moon covers a much smaller angle than any spot meter I know of. Since it is well lit subject against a black background, you will have serious underexposure.

Dave, it is interesting that your moon shot ismore thantwo stops more open than the Sunny f/16 rule would say. I think that is due to the reflectivity of the moon's surface - have heard that it is about the same as a typical asphalt road.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:37 AM   #10
DBB

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
DBB wrote:
Quote:
...If you are shooting automatic, than you MUST choose "Spot metering," and set spot metering to the smallest diameter possible.
That won't work: the moon covers a much smaller angle than any spot meter I know of. Since it is well lit subject against a black background, you will have serious underexposure.

Dave, it is interesting that your moon shot is more than two stops more open than the Sunny f/16 rule would say. I think that is due to the reflectivity of the moon's surface - have heard that it is about the same as a typical asphalt road.
Hi Bill

1. The impact of the spot metering circle is really dependant on the magnification of your lens. In my case it's 22 power and I could use auto settings...:lol:

Clearly this wouldn't work if I was using my 28-105 walk around lens...

15 minutes after dawn is an odd time of the day....

Shooting at night and I would close it down a bit more, shooting an hour later I would probably open it up.

Often enough my main consideration is stability. I'm not really a "moon shooter," just do it for the heck of it really. Since I don't have a tripod, lifting my monopode, camera and lens at an odd angle requires a reasonably high speed.

Dave