Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:06 AM   #1

Just recently took some pictures out West. Were fine uploading them to Webshots but when I had them developed at Walgreen's they came out blurry. Is there anything I could do to prevent this from happening in the future?
Attached Images

mesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:22 AM   #2

Were they the same photos? If so, I'd complain to the Walgreen's where you had the prints made.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:38 AM   #3
Administrator

The image you just posted does look a little blurry, even though it's been downsized.

At a largerviewing size,any blur should be even more obvious (and you will also see this in prints).

Check the EXIF in your images (this is a header in them that contains the camera settings used). If your editor can't see it, download the free irfanview (see http://www.irfanview.com). Make sure to download the free plugins, too.

You'll see the camera settings used for a photo under Image, Information, EXIF (check your original prior to downsizing it).

Chances are, you're getting motion blur from camera shake due to slower shutter speeds needed for this type ofphoto (night scenes are much darker to a camera's lens compared to the human eye).

You'll probably need to place the camera on a stable platform (roof of car, tripod, etc.) to take this type of image at night without increasing your ISO speed (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture).

The "rule of thumb" to prevent motion blur from camera shake is shutter speeds 1/focal length or faster. In other words, if you're shooting at a focal length (35mm equivalent) of 30mm, you'll want shutter speeds of 1/30 second or faster. If you're shooting at 100mm, you'll want shutter speeds of 1/100 second or faster (motion blur from camera shake is magnified as you use longer focal lengths).

This is only a rule of thumb, since some people can hold a camera steadier than others (and some may require even faster shutter speeds).

I suspect you'll find that you were taking the photos at a slower shutter speed, causing motion blur from camera shake. The camera is only trying to keep the shutter open long enough to expose the image. But, in lower light, one side effect of slower shutter speeds is blur if you're not using a tripod.

My eyes are not the best, and it's hard to tell for sure by looking at your small sample. Look at the larger original and see what you have. I suspect it's blur from camera shake.

I'm also assuming that you gave them the larger size images (not one this small).

If you didn't given them larger images, then yes, you can expect very bad results (evenif the originallooked fine).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:48 AM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

Although viewing distance and subject type come into play, here are some "rules of thumb" for the *minimum* resolution you'll want to use for 4x6" prints (with much moreresolution needed for larger prints):

Good: 600x900 or greater

Better: 800x1200 or greater

Best: 1200x1800 or greater'

Since you've got a higher resolution camera (4 Megapixels with your Casio QVR40), don't downsize the images you want to have printed for best results (crop to the correct aspect ratio only, without resampling or downsizing to a smaller size when printing).

Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:24 AM   #5
Administrator

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Were they the same photos? If so, I'd complain to the Walgreen's where you had the prints made.
BillDrew's eyesight may be better than mine. :-)

I resampled the photo to a larger viewing size, and it doesn't look bad to me (if you were giving them a photo with enough resolution for the print siize versus a smaller image like you posted here).