Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:39 AM   #1

I am a newbie to this and am hoping someone can educate me how to take better pictures. This is what I am thinking:

In low light condition, set the camera in Shutter Priority mode and shoot wide open (probably about F2.8) and set ISO at the highest possible 400 or 1600 depending on the camera.

In action mode, set the camera in Shutter Speed priority mode of 1/60th a second or faster to prevent blur.

Not sure what to set the camera In good/ideal lighting condition other than leave it in auto mode and change ISO to 50, 80 or 100.
Thanks for any advise.
cuthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:45 AM   #2

I normally use aperture priority. For most pictures, the depth of field is more of a variable on what you are going for than the shutter speed. Action photos (or artistic blurring, at the other end of speed scale) are the clear exceptions. But, most often, you want to either blur your background for effect or allow the background to be clearly visible. And that means controlling the aperture. Similarly, in yourlow light exaample, the easiest way to get a maximum aperture is to set it. Let the speed do whatever it needs to.

Controlling the ISO can make sense, especially in low light -- because many cameras won't automatically set themselves to the fastest ISO. For example, my FZ20 will select on auto between 80, 100, and 200. To get 400, I have to manually select it.

Another big variable is white balance. In strong sunlight, the auto balance is probably just about optimal. But, in artificial or mixed light or early morning/late afternoon, the auto white balance will probably not be ideal. Neither will the predefined defaults. Unfortunately, it is often true that a manual white balance using a white target won't be, either. You really have to play with white balance on yor camera for a long time to know how to adjust it from either the auto or the manual settings to get the kind of coloration that you're looking for. And, alas, the LCD is usually not a good reflector fo the real color. I might add that the 10-cents-a-sheet snapshot printing companes aren't good at this, either. One good reason to print your own photos is so you can get the color that you worked to capture on the image out onto paper.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:36 AM   #3

Many thanks for your help. I will put the tips in use shortly.

Best Regards,

cuthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:40 PM   #4

Read this:

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

It will help you understand all interrelationships.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote