Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:05 PM   #1

I am using Digital camera Nikon Cp5700 and the image size from the camera is 8.533(W)x6.4(H) (from software) therefore every time I print out with standard size 6x4 its cut off top or bottom. I believe you're very expertise with photoshop 9 (I am using this one for editing) can help me with this problem. Is there any way we set up a folder 6x4 (standard size) first and then copy all pictures in this foder so that the software can do its job Or other method in globle? and then I edit pictures after so that I don't worry about wrong size? Please help step by step; (I am a new photoshop user) and email me at :[email protected]

I am greatly appreciated for all your help.

Best wish to you all.

Paul Nguyen
PAULMNGUYEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

There's 2 ways to look at this

The aspect ratio doesn't match your paper size. This means that to keep the whole picture you need to have a white edge. To do this use the menu image then image size make sure constrain proportions is on and resample image is off then set the size so that it fits within 6x4.

The other alternative is to use the crop tool and set the size to 6in x 4in and crop out the part of the picture you want. This way you decide what is cut off not the printer software.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:43 AM   #3

Many photo processors will print 4 ½ X 6, which is the right ratio for the images from your camera. I have heard that Wal-Mart will do that at no extra charge and I know several online processors will give you that size.

Having the prints made 4 ½ X 6 is the only way I can think of to bulk process the images. You really don't have to do anything as the photo processor will do that for you directly from the full image you give them. If you wanted to print them yourself at that size you would start an action in Photoshop. Under the actions palette you will find a start action symbol on the bottom of the palette. Name the action, OK, and then go Image>Image Size. With "Resample" unchecked and "Constrain Proportions" checked just change the document size. Then stop the action. You can then go File>Automate>Batch and run that action for a whole folder.

Otherwise you have the two choices that Nagasaki gave you if you want 4 X 6 prints and don't want them distorted.

To keep the entire picture and have white on the edges you would use 4 X 5.33 in the document size. Most people choose the crop option instead, but you can't automate that. That would work only if you printed them yourself. The photofinisher will automatically just trim off the top and bottom regardless of the document size unless you tell them otherwise.

This is an image as it would come from your camera in a 4:3 ratio cropped to a 4 X 6 (3:2 ratio). The dotted lines show what has to be cropped off to get the correct ratio. You can see that you would want to crop this yourself and cut off more of the feet to get everyone's head in the picture. You can't automate that because Photoshop doesn't know where you want the picture cropped. Photofinishers will just clip off the top and bottom evenly like the picture here unless you crop it yourself:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4

Dear Mr. Steve,

Thank you very much for your expertise about print size using Photoshop 9. I try to use action format for Automate-batch format as you instruct me to do but it didn't not work (I try 3,4 times) end it up I have to use the basic way (Crop to size) to make it works.

Pleaseshow me step by step again. (If you use Image size to start with; you have to open one first and then set it) if not open any picture this option will not work. I still need your help with the Automate batch format (I need 200 pics to size (4x6) or (8x10) in the short time manner). If you or anyone can help me with your expertise dealing Photoshop 9 software for print size I would greatly appreciated. My Email:[email protected]

Once again, I greatly appreciated for your help.

Paul Nguyen
PAULMNGUYEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:40 PM   #5

I'm not sure who Mr Steve is, but if you are referring to Nagasaki and my posts I don't think you are understanding what we are saying.

Your pictures are the wrong shape to print a 4 X 6 or 8 X 10 without trimming some off to make the right shape. Your printing software is evidently doing that already by cropping them to the right shape. It is taking an equal amount off the top and bottom or sides. If you want them cropped differently you have to do it manually.

In the picture I posted I would move the crop up so that the heads were in the photo, but I would have to lose more of the feet. Photoshop has no way of knowing how I want to crop the photo. You can not automate cropping in Photoshop. Your printing software is already doing that by trimming an equal amount off the top and bottom to make a 4 X 6. If you don't want an equal amount trimmed off the top and bottom you have to make decisions about how it is cropped with each image.

If you want to make a print the same shape as the image that comes from your camera you can automate that in Photoshop. If you want a print 6 inches wide it has to be 4 ½ inches tall. If you want an image 4 inches tall it has to be 5.33 inches wide. If you want a print 8 inches tall it has to be 10.667 inches wide. Go Image>Image Size and set one of the dimensions with "Constrain Proportions" checked. It will set the other dimension. You can do that as part of an action and automate the action.

If you want to stretch the image to fit a certain paper size you can automate that also. Uncheck "Constrain Proportions" and set 6 inches in the width and 4 inches in the height. The image will be distorted to fit the paper size. Most people don't like that, but it seems to be what you are trying to do.

Make sure "Resample" in unchecked to either distort the image to fit a certain size or print to a paper size the same shape as your image.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote