Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2003, 1:59 PM   #1

Default ccds not uniform

I was at our photo club's meeting yesterday and the guest speaker was a very interesting and knowledgable proffesional photographer who also teaches digital colour in a college in the city. His very interesting presentaion was on shooting snow with digital cameras; the results were, needless to say, spectacular.

What he did mention and explain. however, is that ccds do not have a uniform colour rendition through out their surface, that apparently needs quite a bit of colour correction. That is news to me :!: :?:
I know this guy is super critical of his work, but has anyone else really noticed this effect?
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:19 PM   #2

I shoot with a D60. If I take a very long exposure, 4 minutes or more, the right 1/3 of the image will have purple areas. This is because the heat does not dissipate as readily in that area, which may be closer to the battery or some other component that heats up the CMOS.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 2:34 AM   #3

Default comment

I would assume that part of the processing would be color correction, as the color I get from my Nikon 5700 is amazingly good.
This is a difficult area as what may satisfy some of us may not satisfy
others. However, I generally am pleased with the color and where I am not, I use PShop to adjust.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 9:16 AM   #4

I am totally satisfied with the colours I get. The oly seems better than my old Fuji - the reds were not accurate, sort of crimson.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:39 AM   #5

In the lecture mentioned above, the speaker showed us snow shots exclusively, in which the 1 sec shots without treatment showed (albeit faintingly) a colour hue at the sides. He was using a FUJI S2 PRO by the way
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:58 PM   #6

WalterK

Interesting. I read a compairson between the D60 and the 1D. It was saying that the D60 was better at longer exposure shots because of a problem just like you describe. Here is the link:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/1D_review/

I won't detail the article, just look near the bottom for the pictures showing the effect. It talked about how the 1D went for faster shooting over longer exposures. When you take pictures with a long exposure the 1D will have purple corners (top left & right.) But the D60's hardware was completely different. It shouldn't suffer from that. Where is the purple in your long exposure pictures?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote