Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:26 AM   #1

Would you get one?

pichataker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2
Administrator

Sure, if it was a genuine manufacturer reconditioned model with a warranty (versus what some vendors may be calling reconditioned).

From my perspective, a manufacturer reconditioned camera is less likely to have problems, since it was checked again before repackaging to make sure itworked OK. The only real downside I see is a shorter warranty period (usually 90 days on reconditioned models).

Nikon even sells some of their models directly to the public this way (although you can often find better deals elsewhere -- sometimes buying one new for less than they're selling a recondtioned camera for). But, they have some good deals from time to time, too.

Nikon Mall Reconditioned Cameras

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:22 AM   #3

I've bought 2 over the years, an Epson 750Z and a Minolta F200. As JimC says make sure you getamanufacturer's warranty. Most of the time these are for 3 months but sometimes a 6 month warranty is offered. I never had any problems with the 750Z but had to send the F200 in for warranty service. After serviceno more problems have cropped up in the 2 years I've had it.

Would I buy a reconditioned camera again? If the price is right and the warranty is there, yes indeed!

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:36 PM   #4

:-DThanks for the replys. I actually was able to find what I wanted brand new today. But it was good to hear about purchases like this working out.
pichataker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:58 PM   #5

Things may have changed since, but a few years ago Sony gathered a bit of a reputation for shoddy work on refurbished cameras, to the extent a fairly large amount had a fauly straight out of the box, or developed one very quickly.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Well, I've bought an open box Sony DSC-F505 at Best Buy, a factory reconditioned Olympus C-2500L from Circuit City, and a factory reconditioned Nikon Coolpix 950 from Nikon Mall before.

They were all just fine. If I can save money buying that way I do.

I've still got the Nikon Coolpix 950. I got a good deal on it. Dealers were getting more for the new ones than Nikon started selling them for reconditioned when the 990 came out. I've also owned the 990 but I sold that one a while back (I should have kept it, too).

Heck, I used the 950 just 3 weeks ago at a birthday party at my house (and this camera has held up just fine for years). It's always been one of my favorites at parties.

For example, the swivel body design makes it easy to hold the camera up over your head to get photos of someone blowing out the canclles if lots of people are gathered around. Ditto for opening presents, etc. Of course, given the slower speed of an older camera like this, you have to plan your shots better. ;-)

Shooting from waist level is also easy with it so you get better candids at these types of gatherings (since people will change expressions if they see you pointing a camera at them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:04 PM   #7

I had an old sony diga cam that was a referbished and it i never had problems.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:21 PM   #8

I have bought two reconditioned camera's, a Minolta Dimage S414 and a Nikon N80 film camera. Both worked great and were both excellent deals (bought off Ebay). As long as the seller is reputable and the warranty solid, I would not have an issue buying reconditioned again.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote