Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2003, 3:10 PM   #1

Default Comparing the Olympus C-4000 and Fujifilm FunPix 3800

With the replies to my last message, asking about cameras with good macros, I have been looking into the C-4000 and FunPix 3800 heavily... I have just read both reviews next to each other, and have come up with these conclusions, and ask for your comments/opinions.

Size- C-4000 has slightly larger pictures
Zoom- 3800 has a MUCH larger zoom
Macro- C-4000 has a better macro, but the larger zoom on the 3800 will yield me a better closeup.
Control- The C-4000 gives you more control as you can control the F stops and ISO settings (both let you control shutter speed)
add-onsBoth cameras have a way to let you add on extra lenses.

Now, for people with either/or- does the extra zoom on the 3800 really compensate for the lesser macro ability? Also, how are outdoor shots, considering you can't control as many settings- what about if you on a moving object/photographing a moving object? Also, does the camera compensate for different shutter speeds?

Thanks again!

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2003, 5:22 PM   #2

i had the same question and chose the c-4000 over the fuji for me holding the two the c-4000 just seemed right in my hand and although i would have liked the greater zoom i felt the extra megapixel would let me print larger pictures and crop more of the picture many times i will take a picture at a wide angle and then decide that i only like a portion of the pic. that is where the extra pixels kicked in down the road i would also like to buy a dslr and i felt the oly with so many more manual controls would give me much more to learn and grow into before moving on to another camera i dont know if this will help you much but good luck
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 8:26 PM   #3

I own the C4000 and a 2800 (which is about 90% similar to the 3800/304).

They're chalk and cheese. The 2800/3800 is essentially a quality point and shoot with a big zoom. The 4000 offers full control of all functions but lacks the zoom.

If you want to take pics with a high success rate and few worries, the Fujis are great. If you want to learn photography and are prepared for a much higher failure rate while doing so, the C4000 is excellent. You CAN use the C4000 as a point and shoot by putting it on full program, but many users on this forum have reported unsatisfactory results - ultimately this is a camera you have to take control of to get the best out of it. Once you know the camera, its potential will exceed that of the Fuji.

One other thing to bear in mind - a 200mm lens on a SLR is not an easy lens to use. Depth of field is small and the risk of camera shake is high. The 7:1 zoom on the Fuji is equivalent to about 270mm on a 35mm camera and is allied to a small, lightweight body. Using the Fuji on full zoom is a good recipe for camera shake and disappointing results unless you have at least one of a) a tripod, b) very good light or c) a very steady hand.

I bought the 2800 and was delighted with it. After 6 months I gave it to my wife and bought the C4000. Now we're both delighted with our cameras.

You have to ask yourself - are you a point and shoot sort of person?

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 10:44 PM   #4

Very helpful replies! Also, are there any cameras that may also be the best of both worlds? Zoom and control ability? The SLR I use right now gives me good results in the right lighting, so I do have some experience tinkering with little settings...
Old Feb 9, 2003, 12:30 AM   #5

Oooooh! Just thought of something that could make up my mind!

The C4000 has larger photos, a stronger macro, but a lower OPTICAL zoom- for coin pictures, I could surely get a nice, upclose shot, assuming I was using a 90mm Optical zoom from less than an inch away... now...

A lot of my outdoor photography would be still pictures- I like landscapes, sunrises and sunsets, and other natural stuff- animals, too... for that, if need be, could I add on a little digital zoom without much penalty in quality? For the rest of my outdoor shots, as in something is moving, I guess I just can't have the strongest zoom...

Also, can the C4000 be used as a point-and-shoot? Suppose I am just with a bunch of friends (outside or inside) and want to snap a picture or two- would I have to set the shutter speed/f-stop, or could I just take a picture and have the camera factor in the flash and then get me a nice picture?

Thanks again!

Jeremy
Old Feb 9, 2003, 5:28 AM   #6

Jeremy,

I'd forget the digital zoom if you want quality results. It effectively reduces the resolution of the camera by enlarging only a portion of the CCD.

Yes, you can use the C4000 on full auto. Discussions on this forum suggest that the camera favours wide apertures and fast shutter speeds in auto mode: this leads to shallow depth of field and problems with focusing and sharpness, especially if you use iESP focusing mode. Be aware of this and switch to aperture priority when necessary and you should have few problems.

At the top end of the consumer market, cameras like the Minolta 7h, Sony 717 and Nikon 5700 provide full control+big zoom, but at a price. The nearest in price to the C4000/3800 is probably the Fuji 602S, which is a very strong contender. Check out the Fuji forums here and at dpreview.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:32 AM   #7

Thanks! Also, what about the Olympus C7xx or C4040?
Old Feb 9, 2003, 10:55 AM   #8

The C4040 is an excellent camera, I own one, but the C4000 has a much better macro function. If you interest is the macro shots then the C4000 would be the best camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 10:25 PM   #9

Yes, macro is VERY important... what about the 700s?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:11 AM   #10

The C730 super macro mode is 4cm. The super macro mode on the C4000 is 2cm. You will not be able to use the powerful zoom on the C730 in the macro mode. Check the specs on Steve's review.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote