Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:00 PM   #11
DBB

My experience with the B&H sales people is that they will give you their true opinion. They have talked me out of making a purchase, when they had no alternative item. They have talked themselves out of a sale.

I've never been happier with a store. I strongly doubt that this is a financial incentive, with the exception, that in the long run, treating me as they did, they certainly have a repeat customer.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:07 PM   #12

Thanks for your replies - I wasn't criticizing B&H at all (I love that shop). I guess I just thought it slightly unusual that when I asked to see the Minolta 5D, the salesman suggested the Nikon D50. I usually have a tough time making decisions and this made it even more difficult, but I did go w/ the 5D after reading lots of reviews and am very happy with it.
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:40 PM   #13

I went into a local camera store a few weeks ago and they were HEAVILY pushing a Nikon D50 kit as well. I asked their price on a Canon 20D and the guy spent 5-10 minutes trying to sell me a D50 kit for half the price before he even told me the price of the 20D. I was confused as to why he would try to downsell me. His reasons are what really set off a flag: "Better lenses, better sensor (than the 20d), more features, etc". Funny how he never went into specifics of what "better" meant. I know some people are pro-nikon and some are pro-canon, but it's not like he tried to switch me over to the D70. Upon looking around I found a few more stores offering all kinds of specials on that camera in particular.

Working in commision retail for 3 years tells me that Nikon is probably offering a spif (extra cash to employees who sell the product), and owners are probably getting some incentives to push this product as well. When I sold TVs Mitsubishi would occassionally offer an extra $25-50 per set if you sold a certain model, so I often downsold people from higher-end TVs because it meant more money for me. I would assume that something similiar is going on in the Nikon sales chanels.

EDIT: Just saw the note from the BH representative, so commission probably didn't play that big of a factor, so it's probably just a preference thing. I still think Nikon is offering some deals to owners/employees though (based on my local store experiences)
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:50 PM   #14

I"ve only had the best of luck with B&H and would recommend them to anyone considering buying equipment.

I've emailed and got excellent advice.

I've also returned items with no problems.

I give B&H the two thumbs up!

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:12 PM   #15
Super Moderator

i have only had good experiences with B&H as well..

for what its worth, if i were to buy a second system to go with my canon system.. i would buy a KM 5D in a heartbeat.. from my experience handling/playing with menus/shot a few shots onto my CF card, its a real winner.. handling is great, i found the controls to be logical and well placed.. i personally preferred its layout and handling over the nikon equivelents..

at the end of the day you are left with a bunch of personal preferences.. and really, most of these camera's will do anything you will ask of them.. pick the one that feels right for you and forget it..

---------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:34 AM   #16

actionwoman wrote:
Quote:
I really liked the feel of the 5D (the 7D was a monster!) - but since this will be my first SLR, I want to choose the "right" one and am driving myself nuts reading reviews over and over again. I just need to stop reading and buy a 5D already.
Good choice, and BTW - I haven't seen a bad 5D review yet!
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:40 AM   #17

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
He's pushing the D50 because it's probably the best value in a starter DSLR these days.
Or not... The Oly E500 and KM 5D are excellent dSLRs in their own right - entry level or not.
Quote:
As for the KM 5D, its a good camera, but the image quality isn't going to be there like the D50 or the Rebel XT.
I've seen pics showing otherwise, so your obvious "Canikon" preferences are a bit dated. Not that there's anything wrong with those cameras, but Canon/Nikon aren't the only game in town anymore...
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:14 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:
[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
He's pushing the D50 because it's probably the best value in a starter DSLR these days.
Or not... The Oly E500 and KM 5D are excellent dSLRs in their own right - entry level or not.
Quote:
As for the KM 5D, its a good camera, but the image quality isn't going to be there like the D50 or the Rebel XT.
I've seen pics showing otherwise, so your obvious "Canikon" preferences are a bit dated. Not that there's anything wrong with those cameras, but Canon/Nikon aren't the only game in town anymore...
c'mon man, terry is allowed to give his opinions, no need to take offense and call his way of thinking dated.... and actually, given that the nikon and km have the same 6.1 sony sensor.. the nikon image processor does do a little better job in extracting detail from an image... this could be compensated under certain conditions by the sharpness gain of the AS on the KM... so its hard to say which gives a "better" image...
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:20 AM   #19

Hards80, thanks for sticking up for me!

Actually, I wished I owned all of those cameras.

Difficult to say which one I'd end up using all the time.

At first I was blown away by my Canon 20D, then I started noticing a little clunkiness in form factor, and difficulty to set some controls.

But now I'm used to the 20D, I still love it.

So, it's probably what you get used to, in the end.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:03 PM   #20
Super Moderator

yea.. i was playing with the km 5d today at the store.. thinking it would be nice to have 2systems of dslrs just as backup.. then i realized how absurd that is.. and then was looking at the fuji s9000 thinking it would be a great travel camera.. then realized that i could spend my money in a more practical manner.. haha..

we'll see whether i follow my own advice...