Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:14 PM   #1

I went to B&H the other day interested in the KM 5D - after playing around with it, the salesguy said I would be much better off buying the Nikon D50 - he said there are more lenses for it and it's a better camera. I wonder if that was his real opinion or if he was trying to move the Nikon D50s? So now I'm puzzled again and am not sure about what to buy. :?
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:48 PM   #2

A lot of it's down to personal opinion really. Could be that he simply believes the D50 is the best camera in that price range, or - not knowing the store - that he's either been told to push that camera this week by his boss, or will get a bigger commision fee if he sells one of those.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:36 PM   #3

It may come down to accessibility. Both cameras are dandy SLRs, but as far as accessiblity is concerned, the KM 5D has been getting poor reviews for its lack of buttons/knobs for adjusting camera settings whereas the D50 has similar (not identical) accessibiltyto the D70/D100. It really just comes down to personal opinion. When I was researching cameras, my biggest criteria were physical comfort, accessibility, and features (not necessarily in that order). Make a list ofcriteria, go back to B & H (orany other camera store) and rate each camera you tinker with based on the criteria youhaveestablished. Take your list home and see which one comes out on top. Just remember, either way you go, I'm pretty sure you're going to go home happy. Good luck and happy hunting.

-Blake
GWHayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:27 PM   #4
Administrator

GWHayduke wrote:
Quote:
It may come down to accessibility. Both cameras are dandy SLRs, but as far as accessiblity is concerned, the KM 5D has been getting poor reviews for its lack of buttons/knobs for adjusting camera settings whereas the D50 has similar (not identical) accessibiltyto the D70/D100.
Huh?

It's not as good as the Konica-Minolta 7D as far as dedicated controls, but that's not the same as comparing it to a Nikon D50.

The KM 5d has just one command dial for things like adjusting shutter/aperture (the KM 7D has two dials).

But, the Nikon D50 loses acommand dial compared to the D70, too(the D70 has two command dials and the D50 has only one).

The 5Dalso has a Depth of Field Preview button (like the KM 7D and Nikon D70).

Nikon dropped the dedicated Depth of Field Preview button on the Nikon D50.

The 5Deven has a dedicated control knob for White Balance Settings.

How many buttons and dials do you need?

Take a look at one. It's control layout is quite good for a model this size, giving you fast access to things you need most.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:31 PM   #5

I really liked the feel of the 5D (the 7D was a monster!) - but since this will be my first SLR, I want to choose the "right" one and am driving myself nuts reading reviews over and over again. I just need to stop reading and buy a 5D already.
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:21 PM   #6
Administrator

actionwoman wrote:
Quote:
I really liked the feel of the 5D (the 7D was a monster!) - but since this will be my first SLR, I want to choose the "right" one and am driving myself nuts reading reviews over and over again. I just need to stop reading and buy a 5D already.
IMO, that's important when shopping (that you liked the feel of the camera you want to use).

Personally, based on what I've seen from your posts so far asking questions, and knowing this would be your first DSLR, I'd probably just go with something like a 5D kit to start out with.

IMO, the 18-70mm lens included with the kit is well worth the extra $100 you pay for it by getting in the kit, and would make a very good walk around lens, with useful focal range.

Then, buy something brighter for theindoor club/concert venues you mentioned. If you're ona tight budget (aren't we all), you can pick up a Minolta50mm f/1.7 AF lens for about $50 used if you shop around (check the used department at B&H and they may have some). The brighter 50mm f/1.4 starts out at about twice as much used.

Then, after using a camera for a while, you'd have a better understanding of what your lens needs are (focal range, brightness, etc.).Minolta, Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, Vivitar and others make lenses in Maxxum mount.

If you decide you need something different compared tothe 18-70mm, then just sell it on Ebay (you can probably sell it for about what you'd pay for inthe kit, sincethey're running $149 and up in new condition outside of the kit from what I've seen from reputable vendors selling them separately so far).

I just got one of these cameras recently myself (KM 5D).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:42 PM   #7
DBB

B&H is a strange store. If you get there when they are not crowded, the salespeople will happily spend time and give you their TRUE opinion. Doesn't mean the salesperson is right - but there is no ulterior motive.

Twice I was talked out of buying something they had, nor did they try to push an alternative product - just told me that what I wanted wouldn't DO what I wanted.

I am impressed!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:02 PM   #8

My experiences with B&H have been amazing. I really appreciate the sales staff and their opinions. They make so many sales they can afford to discourage you from buying a crappy peice of equipment. If used car salesmen where so honest.

Matthew <><
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:49 PM   #9

actionwoman wrote:
Quote:
I went to B&H the other day interested in the KM 5D - after playing around with it, the salesguy said I would be much better off buying the Nikon D50 - he said there are more lenses for it and it's a better camera. I wonder if that was his real opinion or if he was trying to move the Nikon D50s? So now I'm puzzled again and am not sure about what to buy.
RIght or wrong, it's his opinion. He'd base it on his personal experience, the training sessions lead by manufacturer's tech reps he's attended, and his conversation with you. None of our guys gets paid commission and we don't run "high sale of the day" or "most sales of the week" contests.

That way you know his advice is based on what he thinks is best for you, not what's best for his pay envelope.

Henry Posner
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
henryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:41 PM   #10

He's pushing the D50 because it's probably the best value in a starter DSLR these days.

If you have more $'ss you could go for a Canon 20D but that's going to set you back about $1400.

If I were looking for an intro DSLR right now I'd consider the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT.

As for the KM 5D, its a good camera, but the image quality isn't going to be there like the D50 or the Rebel XT.

At the end of the day, image quality is what counts. The rest is up to the photographer.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote