Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:58 AM   #1

Default European Travel Worries

I have a Panasonic Lumix LC40 and I am going to Italy in a few days and I am worried about the voltage over there. My camera has a lithium battery that charges in the camera with an ac adapter so I suppose all I need is a voltage converter and an adapter for the plug, but I am always a little suspicious of the effectiveness of those converters.

I once had an electric razor that I plugged into a converter in England and it was running a lot faster and hotter than it should have. If I had a seperate charger, then all I would be worried about is frying the charger if the voltage was a bit off, but this is my camera we are talking about!!

Any suggestions?
bungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2

I'd check to see if my camera was auto voltage selecting or something
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 12:03 PM   #3

Default AC Adapter

I have not purchased the voltage adapter yet but I just checked the AC adapter that came with the camera and it says:

Input USA and Canada 120V-60Hz 0.3A
Foreign 110-240V-50/60Hz 0.3A

Does this mean that I do not need another adapter and that the AC adapter that came with the camera will convert the voltage and allow me to safely charge my camera in Europe?
bungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 12:13 PM   #4

Sounds that way to me. I'd double check though before plugging in.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 4:39 PM   #5

Chargers or power units which use switchmode technology to deliver high current low voltage in a small package can usually accept a wide range range of input voltage, without selecting input voltage. Frequency is not important. Laptop power supplies are a good example.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 11:36 PM   #6

All you need are plug adapters which you can purchase at the airport when you arrive. It's a simple mechanical adapter which makes the U.S. plug compatible with European outlets.

You can also buy a whole set at Radio Shack to handle about any country or region in the world. Your camera is made to operate on the 50 cycle 240 v AC found throughout Europe and most of the rest of the world (we're the oddballs in the U.S.) as well as 120V 60 cycle (Hertz) we have here.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote