Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:50 AM   #1

Is there a simple way to adapt a Memory Stick so it can fit into a SD card slot? Or is there a small reader that will transfer the data from one type of memory to another without a computer?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:12 AM   #2
Administrator

normc wrote:
Quote:
Is there a simple way to adapt a Memory Stick so it can fit into a SD card slot?
Not that I'm aware of. You can get adapters for CompactFlash Card slots (but you can't actually close the door trying to use these in a camera with a Memory Stick, as they're designed mostly for card readers).

There are two that work with SD like this, though (SD to CF adapter that allows you to close the door on a device usingCF). Konica-Minolta and PNY make those.

Quote:
Or is there a small reader that will transfer the data from one type of memory to another without a computer?
Well, the device needs to have the intelligence to read and write to the cards (understanding how to talk the cards, understand the File Allocation Table, have enough memory to read into memory and write from memory in the cluster sizes needed, etc.). So, they're not "dumb" devices.

Many of the Portable Image Storage devices can do this (copy between different cards without a computer). But, they're not a cheap solution. If one is Memory Stick Pro versus Memory Stick, make sure it's compatible (not all devices can support the newer Memory Stick Pro format and Memory Stick was limited to 128mb).

I'vegotcamera that fits in my pocket that can actually do this, too. It's a Konica Revio KD-510z, and it can use Secure Digital, Memory Stick (or Memory Stick Pro with later firmware upgrades). It has two slots and allows both memory types at the same time in the camera (you can switch between them or the camera will do it automatically when one card is full).

It allows me to copy all images from one memory type to the other via the Playback menus. But, it probably wouldn't like it if the images were not created by this camera (most cameras have problems recognizing images created by other models if you copy them to their memory cards). I haven't tried it to see for sure though (if it would allow copying of images that were created by a different camera model). But, it's very unlikely since it expects them to be in specific directories.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:32 AM   #3

I do not need to close a door. I need to copy to the SD slot on a Palm LifeDrive PDA with a memory stick or use a device to copy the memory stick data to a SD card.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:41 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't think anyonemakes a Memory Stick to SD adapter. The only adapters I'm aware of for Memory Stick are to CompactFlash or PCMCIA.

You may want to try some of the Palm specific forums and see if anyone has found another solution if nobody here has any suggestions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote