Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 9, 2003, 4:39 PM   #1

Default help with problems

Hi, I have a sony DCR-TRV340 digital 8 camcorder. I use the pixela image mixer software that came with my camcorder to organize my movie clips and stuff. I connect to computer using the supplied USB cable. When im watching footage on my camera's LCD screen everything is perfect and picture is great. But when i upload the clips onto the computer, they are darker (if im filming at night, what looked great on the camera playback, you can hardly see on the computer screen), and the clips just jump and skip around (its not a smooth flow from frame to frame such as pauses and stuff). Is there anything i can do to fix this? This doesnt happen when i hook the camera to the tv. thanks
K-Dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2003, 7:00 AM   #2

I'd check the spec on the computer. Playing back video and audio requires a lot of system resources and maybe your computer needs more memory, faster hard disk and more powerful graphics/video card?

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 8:45 PM   #3

no computer is fine. 2.0 ghz, 512 mb ram, 64 mb g-froce graphics card. I think that is plenty
K-Dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 4:51 AM   #4

Hi K-Dubb,

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the speed of your hard drive. I think it has to be 7200rpm and with Ultra DMA onboard (can't remember what DMA stands for, maybe someone else might be able to throw some light on it). Have you got a video capture card? What is the spec of it? You say the video jumps and skips around, this may be dropped frames. Does the computer play part of the video, then stop and then play another part and then stop again and continue on like that?

Rimbo
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:59 AM   #5

I've covered this point in a previous post which many didn't read!

It's not just the pc, but the way resources are being used - that's CPU and memory. Go here first:

http://www.idyle.com/cpuload/

See what's happening during AVI replay. If your cpu load is hitting 100%, then you have to do things. Like see what progs are running in the background and disable them. It shouldn't be a hard drive issue if there is plenty of RAM and the HD light is out a lot, because your caching to memory - so it's a CPU issue.

The next biggest prob. is some decoders seem resource hungry e.g Win Media Player. I tried out Morgan's MJPEG decoder and got my pc playing AVI down from peaks at 100% cpu load and jerky, down to 75% and much smoother. I'm running a 1GHz Athlon, 512Mb ram, 64Mb GeForce GFX and Win98SE. I think the MMX architecture is what makes the real difference for streaming video.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote