Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:41 PM   #1

Hello all,

:??I am very new to macro photography and had alot of problems with lighting. I've used multiple lights with pretty good results, but a pain to carry them around, ya know?:sad: Considered a light tent/box, but came up with the same conclusion. Then I thought about light rings. Way too much $ for my wallet, so I looked around the net and found a few sites with homemade lights. Well, a lightbulb went off in my head, being a machinist by trade, I figured I'd give it a go. It came out very well. It has 18 13,000 rated LED's angled 20 degrees toward center all powered by 3 AA batteries. Bingo! All my problems solved right? Not so fast. Everything has a blue tint to it. My question is, is there some kind of filter I can purchase to eliminate this problem??? Like I said, I'm new to all this and am hoping for some kind of easy fix. PLEASE, PLEASE help me out!!!

Thanks, Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:41 PM   #2

If your camera has a manual white balance function, use it. Get a gray card and place it under the lights you're using, and follow your camera's instructions for custom white balance setting. If you don't have a gray card, you could even use your hand in a pinch.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:51 PM   #3

HI,

Thanks for getting back to me. I do have manual white bal but I've tried all settings and no change. I really don't understand your point about a gray card (never heard of them) or it's placement. I'm using a light ring, where would I put it?

Thanks, Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:30 PM   #4

Gray cards have been used for years by photographers to get the proper exposure under varying light conditions. Many photography stores sell gray/white cards to be used for this purpose. With a digital camera, you can use the card to get the correct white balance. You would place the card in front of your lens (so it fills the frame) and use the custom white balance function. Your camera will take a reading and then determine what the correct white balance should be for that particular lighting situation. Just google gray card or even check out other forums on this site (there is one currently going on in the Newbie forum) to get further details.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:39 AM   #5

waynespixels wrote:
Quote:
Everything has a blue tint to it. My question is, is there some kind of filter I can purchase to eliminate this problem??? Like I said, I'm new to all this and am hoping for some kind of easy fix. PLEASE, PLEASE help me out!!!
The easiest way I can think of would be to shoot in RAW and change the WB during RAW developing.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote