Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:44 PM   #1

I've been wanting to upgrade my system for CS2 but in the end decided to get a new one. I have a Dell 8200 with RDRAM, man is the RDRAMexpensive to upgrade!!! I started there with wanting to upgrade the memory and also researched monitors. I'm using a DELL 21" CRT Trinitron now, with a spyderPro colorimeter. After much research I decided to hold off on a new LCD. I refuse to pay 1500.00 plus dollars for a 21+" LCD that is as good as a very good CRT. I looked at Samsung 243T and 213T, and LaCie. I'll wait until my CRT dies, maybe the price of a good LCD will drop by then. As for the system, all of my research pointed to AMD dual core over Intel for a Desktop (not a workstation).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I ended up going with an AMD 64 x 2 4400+
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"4 Gig of DDR-400 PC3200 memory
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"ATI Radeon XT800GT 256MB video card
SATA drives 80Gig for Operating system,
120Gig second drive plus I have another 80Gig ATA 100 to add as scratch disk
Mother board style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Asus A8N-E nVidia nForce4-Ultra Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0 PCI-E Motherboard )
and a 420 Watt power supply.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This puppy should SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:57 PM   #2

If its not to late have you considered Apple Mac?http://www.apple.com
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 6:39 PM   #3
Administrator

jlacasci wrote:
Quote:
"Asus A8N-E nVidia nForce4-Ultra Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0 PCI-E Motherboard )
You didn't seea note on Adobe's web site about PSCS2 compatiblity issues with that chipset? Only kidding (although you never know about these things). ;-)

I think I'd have gone with the special Dell has right now on their new model withIntelPentiumExtreme Edition Dual Core Processor with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB cache),user-overclockable in BIOS to 3.40GHz and 3.60GHz.

Free Adobe PCSC2, free ugrade to 4GB RAM, Windows Media Center, MS Office, Integrated SATA with 4 Seagate 10,000 RPM Barracudas, etc., for only $499.00 after the coupons is a pretty good deal.

It's too bad they don't offer that deal, though (sorry, I couldn't resist). LOL

Chances are, I'll get another Dell the next time I get ready to upgrade.

I only paid $479 delivered for the 8300 I've got now (and that was last year). I learned how to find the bargains in their refurbished section. I could not have bought the parts for what I paid for it (much less the included software):

See my post in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:42 PM   #4

I've been a Dell fan for a long time, I think right after I got my first Packard Bell 286 or maybe my second Packard Bell I started buying Dells. Anyway, I've owned a bunch of them. I'm a Unix system admin/Oracle DBA for a college and we sell/use Dell's (and some Mac's). Even though I've got an 8100 under my desk at home right now, Dell just didn't offer the specifics of what I was looking for. If you spend some time and review the specifications of what AMD has and Dell, AMD seems to be a better option. (This will be my first AMD system). As for a Mac, I've never used one, nor intend to. Nothing against them, especially since they are unix under the hood now. The differences between the two isn't as great as some folks like to make it out anymore (like I said, we support both at the college). It's seems to be a matter of pref. more than anything now. Being a techie, growing up with Unix and DOS, I'll stick with what I know and can tear apart and rebuild myslef.

As for building a system yourself, sure I and many of you can. I looked at pricewatch.com and some other sites. It's getting harder and harder to build your own for less than some of the on-line shops can build them for. At least that's what I found.

While we're talking about systems... I'm still toying with the idea of a good monitor. I've got a good Dell 21" Trinitron CRT now. It's old, however, with my spyderpro the color is pretty darn good. My prints off of my HP8750 look fantastic and I doubt I could get the color much closer. Howeve, the CRT is old and I should think about a new one. I'd rather get a good one than just a cheap second monitor. I've looked at the syncmaster 21 and 24" LCD's around 700.00 and 1600.00. The 21" LaCie is also around 1500.00 or so. I really want a 24" if I'm to get away with just one monitor. But I've yet to hear anyone say the Dell 24" is fantastic compared to the Lacie, and I'm worried about the brightness of the Dell. But,you can't beat the 750.00 for a 24". Any suggestions besided the LaCie and syncmaster?

Thanks,
Joe
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Administrator

The Dell I'm using now is the first PC I haven't built in a long time. But, I got the thing for less than I could buy the CPU and RAM for to build one (much less the software and everything else that wasin it. LOL

They had one heck of a deal going on with their refurbished models at the time.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:56 AM   #6

I haven't tried pricing out a new system recently to know how well I could do.

To me, its a question of quality, fast parts. If Dell used the parts I like, and it was fast I'd get it. In the past this hasn't been the case. I do agree, though, once you start adding in MS Office and a few other pieces of software it quickly becomes a loosing proposition. I own Windows XP, so that is money saved, but my office is '97, which is showing its age.

As to the monitors. I just did some hunting for larger Lacie CRT monitors and I was unable to find them. Pitty, as they were good and reasonably priced. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I need to replace my old monitor.

Dell's LCDs aren't great for photo editing, if your standards are high. I borrowed one and even after calibration it wasn't very good. It was very bright, but with little detail in the darks. And not a good contrast range (not nearly as good as they stated.) It is my understanding that the LaCie LCDs are good, but I'd research more before getting one. They have a good Rep, but for that price I was more info.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:07 AM   #7

I can't find a LaCie CRT either. But I may be on to a good CRT. Samsung 1100DF 21", it's 20" viewable, .20mm 2048 x 1536 Max @75mhz. It can be found for around 450.00 - 500.00.

Joe
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:46 AM   #8

Crud, just checked my favourite haunt Vistek and it seems they no longer carry CRT's.
Seems the popularity of LCD's and the storage space needed for CRT's won out over image quality.

Which OS are you using? I have not see much improvement with winXP, the 32bit OS does not make good use of the 64bit cpu and I don't think it is doing much with the dual cores either. (I have a amd 64 x2 in a asus a8v motherboard).

I only have 2gb memory so I can't verify but I have read somewhere that PSCS2 can only utilize up to 2.5gb of memory.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:48 PM   #9

I'm starting out with XP prof. and will set the boot.ini file to use 3Gig. Check out this link: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html

The system I've purchased will run XP Pro 64 bit also, so if the boot.ini file is a problem I'll upgrade the OS to the 64 bit version. Although I'd like to wait and just upgrade to Vista. Even though Microsoft hasn't announced anything for certain yet, I've found sites taht indicate my specs are more than enough for Vista.

As far as the dual core goes, I can't be sure on this but I assume that since Bridge runs as it's own application outside of Photoshop I should benefit from the dual core. The other big performance gain I shoud get is with the Sata drives. I'll have two of them. 80Gig for the operating system, 120Gig for applications like photoshop. I'll also add another ATA drive that I'll use as swapfor the OS or maybe scratchfor Photoshop. I'm not sure what will give me te best performance.

Joe