Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:39 PM   #1

Default New Canon A40 or Refurbished Olympus 550

Hi everyone. This is my first post!

Well, I'm looking at buying my first digicam and I need some advice. By the way, this site has been incredibly helpfull, especially the reviews and forums.

I'm torn between a new Canon A40 and a refurbished Olympus 550Z. Both cameras are selling for about the same price. However, the Olympus is a 3Mpixel camera while the A40 is only 2Mpixel so I suppose the Olympus would produce better image quality.

Which camera would you choose in terms of image quality, color, manual mode settings, etc, and why?

Any comments and suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks.
relik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:17 PM   #2

The D550 is an excellent camera. Is there a 90 Olympus warranty with the camera? If there is no warranty, I would opt for the Cannon.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:49 PM   #3

Hi. I would be purchasing the Olympus 550 directly from Olympus USA, and they provide a 90 day warranty on all refurbished cameras.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:54 PM   #4

In that case, I'd say go for it. The D-550 is a great little camera, I've been very well pleased with mine. You can check out some sample pictures at:

http://www.pbase.com/hyunyu/olympusd550

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Canon camera so I can't make any comparisons.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 5:03 PM   #5

Purchase the D550 from Olympus.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:52 PM   #6

Thanks for all the advice. Well, based on all the recommendations I was going to purchase the D-550 until I compared the picture quality of the Canon A40 to that of the Olympus D-550 at www.imaging-resources.com using their comparometer. I'm no expert, but to my eye there isn't a whole lot of difference in picture quality between the A40 and the D-550.

In fact, if I compare the D-550 outdoor portrait here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...55OUTLCDP1.HTM

to the A40 portrait here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD.../A40OUTDP1.HTM

I find that the A40 produces a significantly better picture with less noise and better resolution.

But how can this be so? The D-550 is 3Mpixels while the Canon is only 2Mpixels? I'm confused.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:14 PM   #7

The main diff between the two IMHO is that they do color differently. They also handle extreme contrasts differently. They also have different feature sets, which you have to live with, so look at their sample pics side by side and look at their feature sets side by side. Only you know what is most important to you.
For an example of MY opinion:
In the two samples you chose, the Oly is lower in contrast, so it's more pleasing for the facial features. The high contrast of the Canon loses shadow detail and it's therefore not a pleasant portrait. The Oly has color fringing visible at the top of the image while the Canon doesn't. I think that is sufficient for now. I'm sure that reviewer indicated what he thought of those images (if you read them). There is also dpreview.com and megapixel.net for additional professional opinions.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote