Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:04 AM   #1

Hey everyone my digital pictures look horrible on my computor monitor I e-mail them to friends and the pictures look great, but on my computor screen the faces are dark and colors washed out. Can someone give me a step by step on what to do. I've played with my settings with the buttons on the front of my monitor but its got to be something else. Thanks allot my camera is the Sony W1
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 9:40 AM   #2
DBB

Monitor settings are also controled by the software in your computer. If you have a Mac I can help, if not, then look for the software that controls the monitor...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:57 AM   #3

Assuming your monitor and video card are good, remember that some monitors are better than others. Moreover, CRT's generally reproduce photographs much more accurately than LCD screens.

Depending on your monitor's driver and the monitor itself, you may have mechanical (dial or pushbutton) adjustments, and/or if you have a Windows computer, right click on the desktop, go to "Properties", "Settings", and "Advanced" where you may find adjustable settings.

A color calibrator such as the Spyder (there are several brands) available in the $100 and up range, will help, too, depending on how serious you are with your photography and editing desires. Hope this helps a bit!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:54 PM   #4

Thanks Guys but I can't find anything that will adjust my colors or contrast other then the buttons on my screen. I run windows xp. When I go to properties and advance it only has 32 bit or 16 and that does nothing for me.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:19 PM   #5

So, what KIND of computer do you have: brand, model number, type (name) of video card, etc. Ditto on the monitor: brand, model, CRT or LCD, etc. Did it come as a package, or did you buy stuff piecemeal?

I assume you did not build it yourself, and hope you did not have someone else build it. Also, what year was it made?

Was XP what came with it or was that put on later? Do you have it set for the highest color quality? It is rather strange that "Advanced" has only 32 or 16 bit ... It reallyshould have, at the very least,video card drivers (under "adapter" or similar tab) listed, etc. If you upgraded from 98 to XP, that could be your problem and Microsoft has at least one note on it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q283751/)

Assuming it is a non-modified brand name, you may want to contact the manufacturer. If you had it built, contact the builder. Still sounds like a monitor or video card issue, and you may have to reinstall drivers.

It does little to guess as you have not provided the hardware particulars needed to provide more solid help. Sorry.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:12 AM   #6

Canadian wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Guys but I can't find anything that will adjust my colors or contrast other then the buttons on my screen. I run windows xp. When I go to properties and advance it only has 32 bit or 16 and that does nothing for me.
This sounds fairly typical. You may be able to downloadupgraded driver software which does have the adjusments. Another solution would be to use an application such as Gamma Panel to match your monitor color and brightness to your prints. A good source for both the drivers and the Gamma Panel application is http://www.majorgeeks.com/

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:52 AM   #7
Administrator

http://www.epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html

and

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

If updated video drivers won't let you adjust gamma, etc., then make sure to use something like Adobe Gamma or other software mentioned in the above links.

Make sure to check the manufacturer's web site, too. For example, I'm running an Nvidia driver that works with virtually all of their cards. It gives me lots of adjustments that the driver Microsoft thinks is newest doesn't give me.

If you happen to have one, here's the latest Nvidia driver for XP. Check the System Requirements Section of the userguide (link at bottom of page), and you'll find that it supports most of their graphics cards. If you go to downloads, you'll see more for other operating systems.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html

Also, not all of it may be your monitor. The smaller Sonys like this (P100, W1) tend to be produce images that are too contrasty (IMO). That can make the shadow areas too dark and lighter areas too bright (what you are describing).

I can remember working with someone that upgraded from a Fuji a while back, and there was a big difference between them. Setting the contrast to the lowest setting on the Sony helped (when shooting in P mode, you'll see the ability to set it to low).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:27 AM   #8

Some good suggestions above, but I suggest using the ultimate high-tech test: swap parts. The basic question is whether the problem is in your computer or in your monitor. Take your monitor to a friend's house and see how it works on their computer and/or borrow their monitor to see how it works on your computer.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:57 PM   #9

Okay thanks guys I'll look into all of this. Check out this photo on my computor I can barely see my face as its so dark looking. How does it look for you guys? Thanks
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2005, 6:06 PM   #10

Canadian wrote:
Quote:
Okay thanks guys I'll look into all of this. Check out this photo on my computor I can barely see my face as its so dark looking. How does it look for you guys? Thanks
It looks perfect to me

I highly recommend BillDrew's ultimate high-tech test :G. It's the most reliable and most economic first diagnostic.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote