Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2003, 8:24 PM   #1

Default Should I buy now or Wait?????

I like the looks & feel of the Canon A40 but wished it had 3mp instead of 2mp, if all I want to do is print out nothing bigger than
a 8x10 & would I be happy with the printout, & view the pics on my computer would I be happy with the A40 or should I wait til (hopefully) there is a 3mp version of that model coming soon??????
If you think I should wait does anyone know if there is gonna be a 3mp version coming out soon???

Dave
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:05 AM   #2

jaydee

New cameras are introduced on the market all year long. However, the majority of new cameras are introduced in the late summer or early fall. I believe the vendors released the new camera models at this time for the Christmas selling season.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:18 AM   #3

Hi jaydee

Good question!

Here is my opinion:

Wait.

This is why:

Quantum leaps in digital camera technology are on the horizon.

The olydak (see other threads on this development) should be
out in 2003.

CMOS sensors (in lieu of CCD) will begin to become mainstream.

The "best" camera today will be yesterday's camera tomorrow.
So, it should be cheaper.

Just so you know...I purchased a Nikon 5700 to "update" my
Oly 2100uz. Though the 5700 had more features (I love the
1cm macro for instance), overall it did not "replace" the
C2100uz. So, I sold the 5700.

I am "waiting" to see what happens in the dig cam world!

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by digcamfan
Hi jaydee

Good question!

Here is my opinion:

Wait.

This is why:

The "best" camera today will be yesterday's camera tomorrow.
So, it should be cheaper.
This will always be true.

Quote:
I am "waiting" to see what happens in the dig cam world!

Two cents
You can wait forever. Buying a digital camera is like buying a PC (or any electronic gear), the day you purchase it, there is something faster, more powerful, and with more features than the item you just purchased. It will also cost less.

You can wait.... and wait.... or purchase a camera and start taking pictures.
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:19 AM   #5

I agree with MarkY. Waiting for the "next greatest thing" in any type of technology is futile. See whats available now for your needs and buy it.

Digcamfan, you bought an Oly 2100uz. Then you bought a Nikon 5700 to see if "that next big thing" was what You were looking for. It wasn't and you sold it (and probably lost money in the process by doing so). So, 8 months from now how do you know the next greatest thing will satisfy your needs? Also, in the mean time you are missing shots you could have been capturing on the 5700, which by the way, is the best in its class. In my opinion. ;-) :P
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:57 AM   #6
Administrator

At least wait another couple of weeks - the PMA 2003 show is right around the corner and lots of new cameras will be announced near the end of this month and the start of March.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 5:31 PM   #7

A 2 MP camera will probably yield dissapointing results when making an 8x10 print. Go up to 3MP or more. I don't see a need to wait, as tehre are lots and lots of cameras that can take a picture that will yield a very nice 8x10

Canon makes several 3MP (and higher) cameras now. Why not get one of them? A 3MP version of the A40 wouldn't be an A40 anyway, it would be a totally different camera.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:09 PM   #8
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
A 2 MP camera will probably yield dissapointing results when making an 8x10 print...
Oh, I don't know about that; my 2MP Olympus C-2100 takes great pictures, even when blown up to 8x10. I'd recommend you take a couple of sample pictures from Steve's samples, blow them up to 8x10 for the cameras you are considering, and make your own decision. Quality is in the eye of the beholder!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:21 AM   #9

If I were you, I'd wait. Despite the fact that there will always be some new big thing coming out, unkike pcs, electronics come out with the next big thing slower. I'd wait and see what is going on with the foveon x3 sensors. This technology promises to revolutionize digital imaging by recording 3 colors with the same pixel, and if this is used on many of the late summer models, my theory is the current models will get a larger price drop than usual because foveon's images are much much truer to life according to what i've read in pop sci and in other various places which will make it harder for the companies to unload the products with pixels that can only detect one color.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 4:48 AM   #10

I too was excited by the foveon/sigma concept, but I do not like the sounds of reports that you can only download from the camera using the Sigma software (vs. photshop or XP). Has anyone heard an update on the Olydak? Any links? THX - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote