Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:30 AM   #1

Default Going on vacation and need to purchase a camera ASAP

I have narrowed the cameras down to the canon S200 and the Fuji A303. I have read Steve's review of both cameras among other reviews and can't decide which camera to get. Which camera takes the overall better quality images is my main concern. I looked at both pictures posted on Steves review and the Fuji's seem granier.
I look to the digicam gods for assistance.

Thanks,

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:16 AM   #2

If you are looking for a new camera because you are going on vacation real soon, keep in mind some old advice, "Never take a new camera on vacation." Unless you want to spend your vacation reading a manual.

You should shoot many hundreds of pictures, and edit them, before you take the camera on vacation. That way you will know how to use the camera and what its specific limitations are.

Digicams are not much more complex than chemical cameras (once you include choosing the film for chemical camera) in the sense that both can be used in point-and-shoot mode. Both will make you figure out how to set exposure compensation, how to set f/stops and shutter speed, how to change film/memory, how to choose film/white balance, what focal length to use, getting used to the viewfinder, ... The additional issues for digicams are resolution and amount of JPEG compression.

You really want to know how to do pretty much all of that before you go on vacation.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:44 PM   #3

I agree with Bill on that. I had used a fully manual SLR for 20 years, so I thought I could handle my new digital no problem. Even though I used the camera a month before I left on vacation, there were still lots of little things I forgot, like the fact I had to turn on the macro feature...missed a few good shots because of that.

I've now owned the camera 6 months, and I accidently found a neat feature that I must have read about in the manual, but totally ignored...when I get time I have to read the manual again.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:16 PM   #4

Hi Shiggy

First of all, I wish great happiness and lots of photo opportunities
on your vacation.

I will respectfully differ from others who have posted here and
suggest that you do the following:

Print the photos from the reviews up to 8 x 10 on your printer
and/or view them in a Photo Editor like PSP7 or Adobe PS.

You should then be able to make your decision.

Next, check w/Staples if you have one in your area and see if
they can get the cam of your dreams. They will match any
online price plus 10% of the difference (so it has been mentioned on other threads on this forum).

Call manufacturer to verify thread of lens and pick up a circular
polarizer filter (at least).

If need be, take the camera shrink wrap off at the airport ()...
and take a few photos. Get a feel for the ergonomics and
what is needed indoors and outdoors .

I will close with this...

"Life is uncertain. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Take photos today."

Buona viaggio, Shiggy!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:34 PM   #5

Having watched my cousin spend an entire party trying to figure out how to change the EV bias that he had locked on his digicam, and listening to lots of folks who have returned from a vacation wondering why they cannot print 8x10" from the 640x480 shots they took with their new 5Mpixel cameras, I would STRONGLY suggest that anyone learn how to use the camera well before going. Otherwise you are going to have to squint at the little LCD to try to figure out what you are doing - that tells you something about the picture, but not enough to avoid some serious errors.

Doing otherwise is like packing your parachute after you have jumped out of the airplane - might work, but I'd rather not try it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:41 PM   #6

When I purchased my last camera, Olympus C4040, it took several hours to go through the manual and understand the features. I cheated, I upgraded from the Olympus C3000 to the C4040. The camera functions are similar and mostly I only needed to learn the menu functions.

New users of digital cameras should allow for days, maybe weeks, to learn their camera and how it works. You should be able to stay with auto mode after a couple of days using the camera. Do not leave the book at home.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:48 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info guys . I will definitely figure out how the camera works before I go on vacation. I looked through the pictures in photoshop and the Fuji's pictures still seem granier. I would appreciate it if you could look at the pictures that Steve was kind enough to take and tell me if I am crazy or the Fuji's photos do not look as sharp. I am knew to digital photography as you might have figured out :lol: and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 4:54 PM   #8

These old eyes can distinguish little difference from either set of sample pictures. I think that the Fuji pictures may even show more detail.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:25 PM   #9

The FinePix A303 is a very nice compact point and shoot digital camera. The A303 utilizes the xD Picture Card which has faster read/write speed than many other types and also consumes less power so your bats will last a few more images.

For situations in bright sunlight, TTL EVF's are difficult to see on this class of digital camera so I would prefer an Optical View which the A303 has...I'm not certain about the Canon.

Both are good digicams, but I would go with the A303 if I were in the same situation.

Regardless of your choice, get an additional memory card 64mb or higher.

Good luck,
Rodney
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote