Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 26, 2005, 4:21 PM   #1

I occassionally try to stitch a couple of photos together-very elementaryand have used U-Lead or Canon photo stitch. They all seem to have trouble stitching without a large overlap area. Not sure but minimum overlap may be 10% or more.

Is that because they are not programs written for pros or very serious photogs? Or is my misuse of the program and choice of photos? Anyone know why such a large overlap needs to be used rather than at photos edge like butted together?

Thanks.

picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 4:28 PM   #2

This is just a thought -- it's not likely to be a problem of the software. More likely, the camera has more distoriton at the edges. If you move in a bit, you may get more uniformity in the lens that makes it easier to line up the same object in the two images.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 4:48 PM   #3

I think the general idea for the best overlap is in the 20% range.

Also, try a program called autostitch. It is fully automated, all you need to do is select the files. It does all the rest. It certainly has the best price to performance ratio. Its free and works great!
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:07 PM   #4

I'll try both ideas. Thanks very much.

Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:27 PM   #5

Last bit of advice - use a tripod if you have one. You'll have a lot better verticle overlap than if you handhold and 'pan' with your hands to take the multiple shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:05 PM   #6

You need some overlap because it is simply not practical to line up two shots that "like but together" to within a single pixel. And that is ignoring the almost guarenteed distortion at the edges of your lens coverage.

How much overlap you need will depend on the subject and on your software. If there are a fair number of high contrast points in the overlap area, the software is likely to find a match with a smaller overlap. Even if you do a manual stitching, a fair overlap gives a choice of where to put the stitch line. That way you can hidemany problems that exist with any stitching.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:38 PM   #7

Thank you JohnG and BillDrew-understood.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:25 AM   #8

I use The Panorama Factory http://www.panoramafactory.com/to auto stitch. It does a good job of properly stitching distorted edges and restoring/blending slight tonality differences to produce an outstanding panorama. I do use a tripod, but it even works well with hand-held shots. For me, though, Iam going a step further and making a QTVR 360° movie. They have a free trial that works nicely and their price is outstanding.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:30 AM   #9

I have gone away on a few good trips, and had taken panaramic shots, and I understand the frustration of the software. It may take hours of editing to get those shades, and parts of the pics together correctly.

taking a panaramic shot , I try to use a tripod, and compact card that has thefeature in it special lines so when I snap my shot i try not to overlapp by far., I do not know if I can show a 360 degree shot of this but a wide angle instead i use ulead 360 cool lead.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:11 AM   #10

There's actually a Panoramic forum on here (waaaay down near the bottom). If you check that out, you'll find most people there, like me, prefer Autostitch.

You can find it here:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Hands down best auto-stitcher I've ever used. Highly recommended, especially because it's free.
LesGirrior is offline   Reply With Quote