Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2003, 5:00 AM   #1

Default Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

Hi there,

I'm thinking of shelling out for Photoshop Elements 2.0. I'm quite new to digital and have just replaced my Nikon F-70 with an S45 Powershot.

Will this software be enough to cover all my needs (downloading, editing, cataloguing, e-mailing...etc) as a keen amateur. And therefore, can I un-install the software that came with the camera? (I hate unneccessary clutter on my PC).

Is the Photoshop family really the best imaging software out there?

Will my aging P2/350 - 40GbHDD - 256Mb ram machine handle it?

Please help me make a good decision.

Thanks
Ian
Igas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2003, 6:57 AM   #2

To my mind Photoshop Elements 2.0 gives you all of the basic functions that you need (in terms of editing) to go from camera JPEG to print / Internet publish. You can use it to crop images, change contrast, lighten & darken exposure and apply unsharp mask. There are also layers but I've never messed with those.

It doesn't do downloading or any special cataloguing, but I use a PC-MCIA adapter for the former and a directory structure on the PC for the latter.

I can't advise on the overall suitability your hardware.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 9:07 AM   #3

Many thanks for your reply Graham.

You are so right in suggesting that you don't need a particular program to store and catalog your work. A normal windows directory structure is probably enough. I use a SanDisk CF cardreader for downloading to my PC, so I suppose I can safely discard the bundled software.

One question though. Can you download images taken in RAW file format and view them with just Photoshop Elements as your software? In other words, does PE have a RAW-to-JPEG converter built-in?

Regards,
Ian
Igas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 9:42 AM   #4

I'm afraid that I've never had a RAW file to open so I can't give you an answer on that.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:22 AM   #5

Photoshop doesn't have a RAW to JPG converter. I might suggest looking into BreezeBrowser for that function. I dropped ZoomBrowser a long time ago and have never been sorry. I preview and rotate my pictures right on the card then move them to a temporary directory on the hard drive. I do a BreezeBrowser batch conversion on the drive, then go back and re-convert selected ones that need it, all before getting into Photoshop Elements.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:27 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Can you download images taken in RAW file format and view them with just Photoshop Elements as your software? In other words, does PE have a RAW-to-JPEG converter built-in?
You need the camera software for this conversion... Some plug-ins (depending on how popular the camera is) are available for Photoshop, but I doubt if you can get it for Element. In another word you can't uninstall the software that came with the camera if you want to use raw...

Irfanview also support several raw formats that you can use instead of the software that come with the camera
Quote:
- Experimental support for digital camera RAW formats:
NEF, ORF, RAF, MRW and DCR (Formats PlugIn, thanks to David Coffin)
http://www.irfanview.com/
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:07 AM   #7

I've been very pleased with my investment in PSE2. It does take some time to learn; I highly recommend buying the two teaching CD's that are offered by Total Training (included in PSE2). I tried to learn PSE2 out of a book and the CD's have worked much better for me. I upgraded my memory when I bought PSE, was worth it also. Hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:48 PM   #8

Photoshop Elements just got much better. Check out this thread on the Elements forum:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]/0

I just ordered the book and can't wait to get my hands on it since I have PSE 1. I'm drooling after reading all those entries by the book's author on what he's enabled in the software.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:21 AM   #9

Jeff,

I couldn't get that link to work very well...could you post a little more info on what book you are referring to? Thanks.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:39 AM   #10

Stu, it's "The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2" by Richard Lynch and theey've just started selling it on Amazon. Most of the stuff also works in PSE 1 also. It vastly expands the reach of PSE, allowing the use of the curves tool and other stuff. To really get an idea of what's in it, you really should register in that Adobe PSE forum that I gave a link to and then read all the threads in that one post, over a hundred threads. People kept asking questions and the author kept answering. It's exciting stuff. With this, I really think that PSE is all you need for photo editing. After reading your post, I went to that link and realized that you can't get past the first page of the link unless you register or log in. They don't say much on the first page, but it really picks up later. It's worth the extra time to check it out. If the link still doesn't work, go to the Adobe website, forums, PSE forum, browse as a guest. I just checked and it's found on the 2nd page of the forum, dated 2/8/03. Look for that date midway down the second page, or further back if you read this much later. It'll be under that date, unless someone posts to it again. If you don't have PSE, you probably won't get as excited as me.

p
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote