Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:10 PM   #1

Default Sharpening

I've read several postings that say that the Unsharp Mask function in Photoshop is very good indeed.

So I tried it - and yes I agree, is is very effective.

But then I tried sharpening (from the same originals) but using the sharpening function in ACDSee. Both Photoshop and ACDSee can apply various degrees of sharpening.

Whenever I've achieved a result that I like from Photoshop, I've tried ACDSee to see if I can get the same result. So far, I've found that ACDSee will give what (to me) looks like just the same result.

The main difference between the two seems to be that Photoshop has a little preview screen but I'm not convinced that it's an advantage: I like to look at the picture as a whole to judge whether I like the degree of sharpening. Has anybody else compared them? Have I missed some of the reasons for preferring one over the other?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2003, 5:15 PM   #2

I've used ACDsee. Like it a lot for organising. But I went off it very fast for editing when I discovered it can write back changes to your file without the 'do you want to save' box! Have you found this yet?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:38 PM   #3

No, I haven't noticed - what sort of changes does it write back?

My version of ACDSee, by the way, is 3.0. I tried out the latest version, but didn't like it at all - it seemed very awkward. But then I usually dislike new-fangled things. I'd probably still be using Windows 3.1 if it would run all the programs that I like and work with my cable modem.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote