Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2003, 7:13 PM   #1

Default 20x30 printing from a 2.1 MP camera?

I have a Fujifilm Finepix 2800 camera that is 2.1MP. I am thinking about getting a 20x30 printed...is that going to look bad? What about a 16x20?
zmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:39 PM   #2

zmoz

I think anything above 8X10 will not look very good.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:29 PM   #3

I agree. I've been able to get some very good 11x14 from a perfectly exposed 2.1 mp file that was washed through Genuine Fractals. BUT - I had a few that didn't do so well using this formula, it's about a 50-50 chance. I think 11X14 is the best you can hope for; 20x30, I think, will be throwing your money away. Hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:09 PM   #4

Try it and find out.

You don't have to print the whole thing to figure it out. Do whatever editing/resampling/... you figure is the right way to try to get that size print. Save it, crop out a (e.g.) 4x6" chunk that contains the most critical detail, and print it that piece. Just remember when looking at it that you aren't likely to stand as close to the whole thing as you do to a smaller piece of it.

My guess is that if your photo is of a foggy lake shore, there is a chance it will work at a largish size. If it is a macro of a butterfly's wing, there is no chance of it working with even at 8x10"..
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:32 PM   #5

I have a Fuji 2600 and a Fuji S602 and I have printed exceptional 8x10ís at 1 MP and superb 8x10ís at 2MP. Maybe itís my printer and maybe itís in the eyes of the beholder but the quality was there. Give Bills idea a try, great idea Bill.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 3:10 AM   #6

Hey RRitter, I just realized that your avator pic is you speaking on a microphone, with some object(s) in the way..when I first saw it, I thought you had on Mickey Mouse ears and a conical nose, like you had just come from a costume party...my apologies, or maybe it's just my eyesight :lol:

In answer to the original question, there is 'no way' that you will print an acceptable 20" by 30" print using a 2 mp image...
Import your image into any imaging software program and try 'zooming' it a number of times...my guess is that your image will deteriorate after the 4th zoom...a 4 mp image will probably get you to the 6th zoom level...
blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 6:06 AM   #7

rritter .. I was just being polite by not making the same comment.

Re big pics. If you've already shot them, too bad. If you're going to shoot something, BillD will tell you how to take 12 pics in a 4X3 pattern (that's 24Mpix!) and stitch them all together.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 9:00 AM   #8

I'd like to hear/learn more about stitching - I haven't tried it yet in PhotoShop Elements.....
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 9:18 AM   #9

I do like Disney World but click on my web page RWR to see a full pic. Building inspector by trade, drummer by desire.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote