Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2003, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Handheld Device that uses CF Cards

Anyone know of a Palm-like device that uses regular CF cards? I was looking at the Dell X5 Dell Pocket PC but, apparently it only takes CF II cards.

Basicaly, I want to be able to take the CF card out of my 5700, pop it into a device that shows a larger picture for the client to see when I'm on-site. 8)

Thanks!
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2003, 2:50 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
I was looking at the Dell X5 Dell Pocket PC but, apparently it only takes CF II cards.
CF-II is CF! It's the thicker type that allow the microdrive to slide in as well... The iPaq pocket PC from Compaq also accept CF/CF-II through a sleeve as well.

You might want to check Tablet PCs now too, they also accept CF/CF-II through a PC card adapter (ie PCMCIA) if you want a larger screen. I saw some that almost in the range of the high-end iPaq :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 3:31 PM   #3

NHL,

Thanks! I though CF II were microdrives for some reason, lack of knowledge being one :shock: :lol:

I need to be sure as the Dell said CF II and its $380 Canadian and the Toshiba e740 ($800 Canadian!) says it accepts CF I and II Type cards.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 3:51 PM   #4
NHL

A CF-II will accept both CF-I and CF-II, but a CF-I will not accept a CF-II (ie it's thinner). Some cameras are like that as well, it's only a mechanical thickness dimension!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 4:06 PM   #5

Thanks again NHL you just saved me a couple of hundred $

I think I'll be getting the Dell Axim X5 400MHz version rather than the 300MHz as its only $150 more than the latter at $540 Canadian. You get twice the memory, 100 more MHz and a few more options
Old Feb 15, 2003, 6:21 PM   #6

with the original battery only expect to get 4-8 hrs depending on use. the 3400Mah battery is an additional $99US(OUCH!) and adds another 0.5" of depth to the unit. and of course thats the one you really want. there is no hard cover to protect the screen as in most others. the case that comes with it is bulky and lets say economicly designed. and together they are barely shirt pocket material(more like belt pouch). the base unit is a softball cut in half in classy chrome with words " Dell" lighting up when the unit is in. had it for about a day and a half and figured out i could use the $300+ more constructively. sent it back and waited almost a month to get a refund.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 1:02 AM   #7

I bit the bullet and went with the Toshiba e740 over the Dell Axim 400MHz and the Compaq 3950.

The Toshiba e740 has everything built in whereas with the Compaq you need to buy a seperate adapter for the CF card. Also, with the Dell you need to buy the wireless network unit seperately. The screen is also very sharp and bright, more than I expected. I downloaded a free photo viewer from here: http://www.pocketpccity.com/software...-pocketpc.html
and its perfect for my use

btw, I surfed to Steve's forum and typed this post with the unit quite easily 8) 8)