Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:55 PM   #1

Do you think that Canon will ever put AS or IS in their camera bodies? I'm not sure, they might feel the pressure from Konica Minolta eventually, but would it hurt their sales of their IS lenses?

What do you all think?
ChrisLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:51 PM   #2

In my opinion I doubt it - they have a large selection of IS lenses right now. And lenses are where the manufacturers make their bread and butter I believe. Of course if KM started to eat away more of Canon's market share anything is possible. I just don't know how much of the SLR 'PIE' KM controls.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 5:25 PM   #3

May be at Pro level it wont have any effect in the near future. But definitely if KM comes with a much improved version with AS(say KM 7D with some high end features similar to canon 20D) the prosumer level market will take a U turn with respect to DSLR's.

Its matter of time, may be months before KM comes out with such a semi pro level camera. And the DSLR market is picking up at a rapid pace that if canon fail to see the innovation, they will be left alone. Not only canon but Nikon and others.

The D200 could be the answer to your question that Nikon are still happy with the AS in lens. So say for a year(very pessimistic) things will be in favor of Nikon and Canon. But i do see a slow shift to the AS enabled Konica Minolta.

KM 5D challenging XT and D70 and already slowly overtaking the other two is a good sign of things to come. Its always good to have competition. That too for a buyer. THe prices will have to go down at point or the other. Or atleast the features will go up for the same price.

SVB
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

With Sony having a joint development agreement with Konica Minolta (http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...0507/05-0719E/), if Canon and anyone else selling a consumer priced SLR do not include anti shake into their bodies, they will lose that part of the market. Since that is the lead-up to more expensive bodies and lenses, they will have an anti shake system. Probably about the same time Sony comes out with their SLR.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:29 AM   #5

Aint capitalism and competition wonderful :G:G

Keep it coming
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:53 PM   #6

Well, a semi competitive oligarchy anyway. Not at all sure that Canon would react to Konica Minolta without Sony in the picture.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:30 PM   #7

ChrisLTD wrote:
Quote:
Do you think that Canon will ever put AS or IS in their camera bodies?
Chances are 0 to Nil. Canon and Nikon have too much invested in their existing lens mounts. You can expect any new dSLR maker to enter the fold to likely incorporate body-integrated AS though - at least if they want to be competitive anyways. Olympus did well incorporating their CCD dust removal technology though.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote