Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:04 AM   #1

I'm about to buy my first digital camera (A Canon SD 400) and I'm a little concerned about some of the reviews I've read regarding broken LCD screens.

I realize that these LCD issues are probably one in a thousand, if not one in ten thousand, but it does get me a bit concerned.

I'm buying an ultracompact camera specifically because I want to carry it around with me easily so that I can pull it out anywhere, especially while I am on vacation. Knowing that LCD problems have been an issue in the past, it has me cautious from carrying it around loosely in my pocket or other compact places.

Then I read about some types of LCD protectors that people use to protect their LCD screens.

Would these LCD protectors help prevent the LCD from scratching & cracking? Are there any cons against getting one? Does it cause more glare on the LCD screen? Do they add a lot of bulk to the camera? Is it easy to apply onto the camera? Can dust get inside of it?

Also, which type of protector would you guys recommend for this kind of concern that I have?

Thanks for all your help guys!
narz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:25 AM   #2

The ones I have used for pocket carrying are of the self-cling variety (somewhat like what comes clinging on the LCD screen when you open your new box and unwrap your camera, only a bit thicker). They only protect from pocket scratches, etc. They add no strength to the LCD.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3

Your best protection for the LCD is the hard leather case that Canon makes for the camera. It isn't very expensive, and provides good protection when it's in the case.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:53 AM   #4
scb

I really like the screen protectors from http://www.daproducts.com/ I bought one for my FZ20 and liked it so much that I bought one for my wife's FZ1. They are easy to install and I think they work better than the typical stick on variety.

A good case is also a great suggestion....but a screen protector works all the time...not just when the camera is in the case.
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:37 PM   #5

well i just ordered an LCD protector from 'da products. we'll see how it goes!
narz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:23 PM   #6

I have several in a kit I bought for my PALM PDA. They are well worth it and last a long time - I would cut them down to size and carefully apply them to any screen that may get get scratched. I've got my two Fujis' LCDs covered and also my GPS.

There is a trick to get a good, bubble-free application: Clean all fingerprints and dust from screen. Don't touch the sticky side of the protector and start with one end and carefully squeegee with a stiff card (drivers' license) as the new protector touches the screen. Don't stick it on and then try to squish the bubbles out - won't work.
Števie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:15 AM   #7

I second the 'da products screen protectors.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote