Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:35 PM   #1

I just received my new canon s80 and it doesnt take as good pictures as my old sony 3mp it is replacing. It doesnt do well indoors even though my living room is fully lit, the pics seem a little soft and has bad vignetting. Am I doing something wrong? I need a second opinion. I took this pic on auto mode. I am sitting on the floor about 10 ft away from this dog bed.

Thanks for any help.

suncouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:42 PM   #2

Here's another pic.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:28 PM   #3

Taken apparently August 11 at 4:32 in the afternoon, your lens was wide open at F 2.8, and your shutter was 1/60 using your S80 (info from the EXIF data included in photofile). I truly do not see what is wrong with the photo as it is a low-light indoor situation ... and am not 100% positive from the EXIF info if your flash fired, but visually believe it did, hence the darker corners.

If you want it sharper, you would need a smaller lens opening (F 8+) but then you could not handhold as the shutter would be open a lot longer, about 1/8 of a second or longer.

The camera is doing what it is supposed to do. You just need to add more light!

One very simple thing I suggest to my neophyte photography students looking for an immediate purchase of a digital camera ... get one with the biggest diameter lens you can afford because,in general, you have better light gathering capabilities for indoor shots.

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:35 PM   #4

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:52 PM   #5

Your welcome ... I had a Sony DSC S70 3.2 mp camera that was outstanding taking indoor photos (and it had a very large diameter lens) ... gave it to my daughter (hand-me-down) when I got another Sony 5mp --- I wanted something smaller, pocketable, and with a bit more megapixels. I was disappointed in its low light capabilities (which was not unexpected, it had a lens diameter of less than 1/2 an inch). That was handed down to my other daughter! Now one brags about her indoor photos and the other gripes about hers. And I use an F828 as my always ready lugable instead of a pocket camera ... and like the Canon 20d dSLR for a main digital camera.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:11 PM   #6

I don't see anything wrong either. IMO, take shots outdoors to see how 's the pics.

In sone circumstances, my 2 MP coolpix performs better than my 5MP D7i :?

Likehgernhardtjt said, you need more light, an external flash will help much .

Also, I am pretty sure that the Sonydoes much more agressive internal denoising process , make it looks like "better" simply.

You can also use neatimage to denoise.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:24 PM   #7

couch,

Try shutting off the redeye reduction mode on your flash and try again...that may be reducing your flash intensity a little bit.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:13 PM   #8

I don't think the photo looks all that good. I have nothing to comapir it to. Take a few shots with both of your rigs and post them. I bought a new KODAK P850 and none of the shots were very good. Others thought they were ok. KODAK sent me a new cam without a bit of hastle, and now I have a new rig that works.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:23 PM   #9

Based on the background you are in a fairly dark room. The flash appears to be the only major source of light. Flash as a main source of light, especially when direct can be harsh and unnatural (as is in this photo).

The vignetting can be explained easily. You probably shot this at the shortest focal length (no zoom) and the flash does not quite cover the wide end of your lens. Also your flash range is probably quite short (less than 15 ft) which explains the light fall off in the back of the frame.

Try taking alot of pics in alot of conditions to get an idea of what your camera can and cannot do. I'm sure your camera is fine and will give you years of service. Just remember its limitations.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:06 PM   #10

Thanks for your explanations. After a bit more use over a few days, I think my camera is ok. I just wanted to make sure that my camera was doing the best it could and wasn't broken. Thanks!