Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:05 PM   #1

After trying everything under the sun to try and figure out why my pictures are now coming out blurry I noticed something yesterday. When I upload my pictures to my computerNOWit shows a resolution of 320 x 237, butmy older picturesshow a resolutionof 800 x 594. I concludedthat iswhy the new ones are blurry!

What I don't understand is, howdo Ichange the image resolutionsettings on my camera? This is where I'm confused, I thought theSIZE feature, which is currently set to the highest setting, 2304 x 1712,(Quality is setto Fine) had to do with the resolution?? I also don't understand when I upload the pictures it doesn't register as 2304 x 1712??

Does anyone have an answer?

PS This problem doesn't have anything to do with camera shake or Walgreen's.
mesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:33 PM   #2

We would need to know what kind of camera you have. Also, are you doing any editing?? You may have your default "save as" options a little off. I can't think of any reason your pics would be resized by transfering your pics from your camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:16 PM   #3

My camera is a Casio QV-R40

I don't use any editing software, I only upload my pictures to Webshots.com I'd show you my earlier ones, but I'm having trouble uploading them with this browser.

However, if you go to Webshots.com and doa search, Hearst Castle, Yosemite, Downtown San Francisco (mmcoog) those are my earlier pictures. Those pictures were clear and defined. My recent ones,like the one Iposted on this site (Ace Hardware)are blurry.

It was on Webshots that I noticed the image resolution had changed from 800 x 594 to 320 x 237. I haven't changed any settings on my camera. ???

The reason I don't think it's the computer is because when I went to develop my recent pictures at Walgreen's they were also blurry.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:52 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with webshots so i visited the site. When you upload pics to the site, they automatically resize them for easy viewing. If you click on the image you can change the viewing size...it looks like the 2 sizes are approx 800x600 (typical viewing size for web purposes) and the other is a little less than 1/2 of 800x600. Since this site lets people download the pics for free if they are members, this smaller size prevents folks from creating quality prints for free. This is why you get smaller pics than what you had straight from the camera.

Also, since this resizing is done automatically, theloss of size should not affect how the pic looks on your computer (as most browsers don't show pics larger than 800x600 anyway). You would only notice the lack of resolution if you attempted to print the image at home, or enlarged it on your computer screen. The lack of quality (blurriness) that your seeing is not a result of the resizing. More than likely it is due to camera shake, poor focus, too slow shutter speeds, etc.

For your next batch of pics, load them onto your computer (as opposed to webshots) and view them. If you check the image properties you should see that the image size is significantly larger, and what the camera specs state it should be. Then load the image onto webshots and view them. You will see that the images look the same (the one's directly from camera to computer and the one's on webshots) even though the sizes are significantly different.

Out of curiousity, why don't you keep the full size copies of your pics on your home computer??

I hope this helps (and makes sense:-))
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:57 PM   #5

mesolo wrote:
Quote:
After trying everything under the sun to try and figure out why my pictures are now coming out blurry I noticed something yesterday. When I upload my pictures to my computerNOWit shows a resolution of 320 x 237, butmy older picturesshow a resolutionof 800 x 594. I concludedthat iswhy the new ones are blurry!

What I don't understand is, howdo Ichange the image resolutionsettings on my camera? This is where I'm confused, I thought theSIZE feature, which is currently set to the highest setting, 2304 x 1712, (Quality is setto Fine) had to do with the resolution?? I also don't understand when I upload the pictures it doesn't register as 2304 x 1712??

Does anyone have an answer?

PS This problem doesn't have anything to do with camera shake or Walgreen's.
Your resolution is indeed set by your SIZE feature and is 2304 x 1712. If you copy themfrom your camera to your computer that is what they willbe. I noticed the latest shots youposted on the "webshots" web site have been significantly downsized! That is not a function of your camera but is occuring during your upload to "webshots". This is being done either by the software you are using to upload to "webshots" or by "webshots" itself. How are you getting your files from your camera to "webshots"? Some software somewhere is doing a lot of downsizingof your pictures!
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:39 PM   #6

Correction: I meant to say I first load them on toMy Pictures and then transfer them to Webshots. I've saved all my pictures

I just tried opening it up without going to Webshots and I'm still getting the same thing. If the pictureis transferred to the desktop itwill give me multiple pictures of 4 x 6. If I go back to Webshots the image resolution stays at 320 x 237 and will not expand even when I click resize. Before it was at800 x 594 and Inever had any problem transferring thefull size to the screen.

I'm really thinking this is an internal problem, not camera shake, poor focus or too slow shutter speeds.

PS I've already talked to the technician at Casio without any luck!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:55 PM   #7

I believe the blurriness was there from the beginning. Although I have no idea why your computer would automatically resize your images, I resize images all the time to either email to family, or to post in forums such as these. My images are 3008x2000 out of camera, and I resize them to 800x600 with very little loss in viewing quality. Of course one could not make great prints with these smaller images...that is where resizing creates problems.

The Ace Hardware pic is a low light photo. If you shot that handheld it would be nearly impossible to get a clearly focused image due to camera shake. The camera selects a slow shutter speed to get the proper exposure. In low light situations, use a tripod or bump the iso up to 400 (or as high as your camera will allow) to minimize camera shake.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:47 PM   #8
Administrator

mesolo wrote:
Quote:
Correction: I meant to say I first load them on toMy Pictures and then transfer them to Webshots
How to you "load them" (what software, if any are you using to perform this function)?

I can remember someone a while back that was using software that automatically downsized the images from their camera. So, that could be the problem.

Personally, I always just copy the images from the camera (if it appears as a removable drive), or copy them from a card reader (without using any special software to perform this function).

I've got Windows setup to take no action when it detects new removable media. So, I just use Windows Explorer to select the files I want and then use the Copy and Paste functions to get them into a folder on a hard disk drive.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:53 AM   #9

YES - absolutely.

What JimC said.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:05 PM   #10

I tried a different software program(Kodak) and it's still the same. But getting back to what I originally said, it's NOT a problem with my just mycomputer or a software programbecause my pictures are turning out blurry toowhen I go to Walgreen's to develop them. If it was just the computer then I'd say you're right, but it's not.

On another note, I just came acrossan articlehaving to do with "digital camera problems." There's something called the CCD, which isright behind the lens,it's a chip that captures the picture image. According to this article this chipis faulty in hundreds of digital cameramodels. Personally I've always thought thiswas an internal problem not a software/computer problem.

Well, I've finally decided to take the camera in today toget it checked out. When I finally figure out what it is, I'll report back. I'm sure this sameproblem has happened to others.