Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:13 AM   #1

I've been getting some strange pix lately - not all with this problem, but quite a few. Herewith one straight from my camera.....

I'd be most grateful if someone could suggest what the problem might be. Does not look very good to me

The pic when viewed on my monitor at home is also covered with lines, like an old tv screen.

Caroline
Attached Images

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:46 PM   #2

Looks very odd. I tried to look at the exif info to see what shutter speed you used but it isn't available. There are parts of the picture that appear to show camera shake and yet other parts look fine. I took a look at the histograms in photoshop levels and they seem fairly well balanced between Red Green and Blue. My first thought would be that theer may be some fogging in the lens. Other than that I couldn't guess.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:18 PM   #3

Nagasaki,

Thank you for your response - and thank you for having a look at this.

The weird thing is that some of the pix (with a cursery glance so far) look fine! It's as if there is some sort of slippage (eg the photo before this, of the same scene, was fine.)

I've just changed my computer set up. I notice when I introduce pix to Photoshop now it says "The document has an embedded colour profile that does not match the current RGB working space. The documents colour will be converted to the working space."

I don't think this is relevant - it seems more related to my new processor, but I thought I'd mention it.

I don't know why you haven't had access to theexif data, I think it has always been available before....

Caroline.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4

Hi Caroline;

I am also unable to view the exif data, so can't make any determinations from it. Can you tell us what camera you are using? From the extreme blur in parts of the pic, it looks as if it was taken at a very low shutter speed. However, the lines look like scan lines and I have seen those before. There are a couple possibilities to look for. The simplest is interference from other electronic equipment, such as TV or radio transmitters, cell towers or radar stations. This type is generally confined to a small area at specific locations. The other possibility that I know of is camera internal problems, usually power supply related. The first thing to check is batteries. If you have been using NIMH batteries for a year or more, recharging daily, your battery capacity could be falling off and giving odd troubles. Fresh batteries or an AC adapter should help eliminate or confirm battery problem. If this isn't the case, the problem is likely to be in the power supply electronics, and would have to go for service.

Another possibility is the CCD in some cameras. Look at the list of cameras using the Sony CCDs that are affected by the temp and humidity problem.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:03 AM   #5

Brian,

That is fantastically helpful.

- My cameras is a Kyocera Finecam S5R

- I have found out that exif data is stripped offwhen you use 'save for the web' in ps, which I always do. Sorry - my mistake.

- The problem has happened in a variety of locations. I don't think it is an external issue.

- I've been using the camera tons, just on the one battery, downloading pix every day onto my computer and recharging overnight.Thememory/batteries (???) has surprised me a bit recently....I've had to stop taking pix muchsooner than I would have expected.

I will get another battery today. Hopefully (big hopefully) that will sort out the problem.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.

Best wishes,

Caroline.

Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:38 PM   #6

I don't think that the colour profile change is the issue. I sometimes change the profile and it seems to work well. However if you look at edit colour settings there are options there that might change the way things look. For example if you set the RGB to anything but Monitor RGB you can set the RGB policy to preserve the embeded profile.

I know it's stating the obvious but make a note of the settings before you change anything.

Ken.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:15 PM   #7

Nagasaki,

Thank you! Also for sugggesting I make a note of the original settings - I wouldn't have otherwise.

Someone is helping me reset stuff on my computer, and I shall suggest what you said. It would be useful.

Thanks again.

Caroline.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:52 AM   #8

Just to update to say I definitely need a new battery!It has definitely conked out now. As I have a strange camera it will take about 10 days before there is onein stock, but hopefully when I put it in, all will be resolved. Thanks again for all your help.

Best wishes,

Caroline
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:59 AM   #9

I don't want to spoil anything, but I think your CCD is gone. I had a similar problem with my Nikon Coolpix 5400. The problem starts with these lines and overexposure in certain parts. After a month my camera started giving a greenish color cast to the images. Soon after all I got is a black image. Thankfully Nikon India's service center in Kolkata knew about the problem and agreed to service the camera free of cost. I haven't got back my camera yet. Let's see what come of it.

That was my experience. It is possible something else is causing the same troubles in your case. If you get away with a change of battery consider yourself lucky.

Best of luck.
aninda_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:06 AM   #10

Hi , My Nikon 5400 coolpixseems to be doing the same as Aninda_d 's camera. The CCD monitor is blurred and does not display images correctly and when I click a picture..I only see grey and white lines. I can see previously clicked images just fine on the monitor. Cant figure out what the problem is. I have attached a picture . Any advice is appreciated.
vishant is offline   Reply With Quote