Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

In my line of business there frequently arises the need to dumb down certain presentations to an executive summary level either for a presentation or as part of a proposal. I work in Aerospace and I know this can be hard to do for fairly complicated subject matter. I have just finished such an effort for a proposal on which I am working and it occured to me that something like that maybe useful for someone relatively new to the subject of taking good pictures. Put together a summary of your techniques (maybe 10 - 20 bullets) in a presentation to describe how you go about taking a photo from recognizing what may be a good subject through to how you go about taking the photo.

I am not trying to diminish the years of experience or general artistic talent that is required to undertake such a task as producing a truly good piece of work. Just trying to identify what each person thinks is important in the process. Like a proposal you may even want to highlight what you think you bring to the subject that discriminates your work from others.

I hope someone takes up the challenge! Thanks.
TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:27 PM   #2

1. Remove the lens cap...:-)

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:44 PM   #3

BTW: I do mean bullets as in one at most two sentences per bullet. Not intending this to be a dissertation for a response, way too much time to ask for from very busy people such as yourselves. The requierment for brevity has the intendedeffect of focusing a response. Thanks again.

The first entry above is a good start!
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:13 PM   #4

Here is my process:

- I study the photographic situation

- I determine how I feel about the situation

- I look at what is unique or of interest in the situation.

- I thenthink abouthow I can use my photographic tool (camera) to best convey my feelings or the uniqueness or interest of the scene.

- I walk to the best location

- I compose the shot, in terms of focal length, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus, prevailing light conditions, etc.

- I then take a number of shots at a few slightly different angles, etc. so that I have several shots to choose from.

- I then download my photos to the computer, and compare my results on my computer screen with what I was hoping to acheive in the field.

- I edit or crop the best of my photos to enhance the.

- I critique my photo(s), determining what worked, what didn't, and what I might do differently next time.

Comment:

I don't try to be all things to all photographers. Usually I try to become really good at one thing.

For instance, ifI want to be good at shooting mountain scenes, then spend a good six months to a year getting good at mountain scenes.

Ansel Adams spent his whole life working on mountain scenes. That was his bag, and as a result, he became world famous for it.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 7:13 PM   #5

Thanks Terry,

Out of the photos that you have seen on this site, in general, which of the steps outlined do you think some people who post photos should spend more time on and maybe don't consider enough? For example some of the things that new photographers may not understand the importance of? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:18 PM   #6

While I'm not Terry, I'll give an answer.

The parts that people don't usually do, and should do more of are:
Quote:
- I study the photographic situation

- I determine how I feel about the situation

- I look at what is unique or of interest in the situation.
They don't take their time and really think about the shot. They say/think "that is great" and take the picture. They don't think "why do I feel that is great?" Is it the bridge? The shadows? The color? The softness? The light off the water? The lonelyness of the solitary tree? And once they figure that out, how can you capture that feeling/image? How can I convey it properly? Do I want to draw it out more (make it more directly the subject of the image)? Would that ruin it? Does it want to be more subtle?

People don't take their time to really make the snapshot into a photograph.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote