Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:30 AM   #1

I'd be interested to know when THIS will become available to the consumer .

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:28 AM   #2

It's been available for a LONG time...

it's called a TRIPOD.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:51 AM   #3

Very interesting & amazing :?....

Caroline.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:31 AM   #4

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I'll need that a few years down the road. Me and my tricocals.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 5:11 PM   #5

All I can say is that I find this rather fishy.
I see no statements about how it works (not even a name for this concept. You'd think they'd have patented it by now!) Just that it "works"

There are laws of optics that they are breaking in "software". There is such a think as deconvolution software, which can remove slight fuzzyness in images. But it can't make any part of the image appear in focus. That claim is just pure fantasy in my opinion.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:28 PM   #6

I suspect that there is something real going on: see http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfcamera/

[align=left]They do it by trading resolution against the ability to focus after theshot. To quote their technical paper (link at bottom of above): "Resolution-wise, we would ideally like an image sensor with a very large number of small pixels, since refocused image pixels consist of the sum of a large number of pixel values." If I am reading it right, there is about a factor of 13 loss of resolution (linear). Since that is the firsttry, likely that will be improved a great deal, but there will always have to bea loss of resolution.[/align]
[align=left]Yet another trade off to be made in photography.
[/align]
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:33 AM   #7

eric s wrote
Quote:
There are laws of optics that they are breaking in "software". There is such a think as deconvolution software, which can remove slight fuzzyness in images. But it can't make any part of the image appear in focus. That claim is just pure fantasy in my opinion.
Nothing fishy about it. They make a matrix of 250 x 250 tiny pictures on a huge 16 megapixel sensor. The resulting "picture" does not even look slightly but indeed very fuzzy. And it does contain all the optical information to reconstruct all fields of focus that the lens could possibly handle. The software does not add information that is not there (what would be impossible) but leaves out all unwanted information.
Their current software creates only pictures with quite small depth of field. I often combine pictures bracketed with foreground, center and background in focus to create larger DOF, using PaintShop Pro (photoshop can do the same), so these Stanford people could build this option into their software as well.
No magic, no fantasy, no breaking of laws of optics.
maggy is offline   Reply With Quote