Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:36 PM   #1

Default Is this possible??

I bought a Fuji 3800 which has everything i need from basic manual settings to a decent movie mode, macro mode and that wonderful big zoom.

BUT it's starting to aggravate me. It's too chunky and I find I don't take it out "on the town" for example becaus eit's awkward to carry. It's not so much the size but the shape.

I am considerign selling it and buying a regular 35-105mm digicam with manual settings that is more "pocketable" but I love the big zoom.

Is there any chance that manufacturers will come up with a camera say a bit smaller than the oly 730 but still with the big zoom or is this outside the boundaries of the technology?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:36 PM   #2

Well, sure, *anything* is possible in the future... I'm sure that 5 years ago, few would have thought that a digital camera with 3mp and 10x optical zoom would be possible on a body as compact as the C-730.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:14 PM   #3

Alfisti

I don't know much of anything about the camera, but you can read the "first look" review just like I can! This looks to be a very small camera with a large image stabilized zoom.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz1.html

Check out the picture near th bottom of the first page compairing its size to a CD-Rom. Not bad, eh?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Alfisti

I don't know much of anything about the camera, but you can read the "first look" review just like I can! This looks to be a very small camera with a large image stabilized zoom.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz1.html

Check out the picture near th bottom of the first page compairing its size to a CD-Rom. Not bad, eh?

Eric
Nice but that's a Leica lens ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :shock: :x

I am starting to think that I should just keep the 3800.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 2:59 PM   #5

Cameras with long zooms are all bulky, just like 35mm SLRs are bulky compared to point-n-shoots. You have to house the viewing screen in both cases. They haven't been able to make an optical viewfinder work beyond 4X so far.
The 2800/3800 are really outdoor photgraphy cameras for the like of Ansel Adams (or wannabes like me). They aren't really suited for viewing images in low light or taking action pictures. Some people have called me a "picture postcard" photographer, so it suits me fine. I only do people pictures or use flash when I'm prompted to do so by others.
http://www.pbase.com/mentorron/my_finepix_2800_
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorRon
Cameras with long zooms are all bulky, just like 35mm SLRs are bulky compared to point-n-shoots. You have to house the viewing screen in both cases. They haven't been able to make an optical viewfinder work beyond 4X so far.
The 2800/3800 are really outdoor photgraphy cameras for the like of Ansel Adams (or wannabes like me). They aren't really suited for viewing images in low light or taking action pictures. Some people have called me a "picture postcard" photographer, so it suits me fine. I only do people pictures or use flash when I'm prompted to do so by others.
http://www.pbase.com/mentorron/my_finepix_2800_
I've been where you live and I understand "picture postcard".

I just can't bring myself to buy a say Canon S-30 for the same price as the Fuji with less features and that shitty zoom.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 4:04 PM   #7

Unfortunately, there's still no "perfect" camera that's small enough to go in your pocket, have it's glass protected while in there, not be accidentally powered on when you are just reaching into your pocket for something, have great red-eye reduction, a strong flash beyond 10 feet, able to focus in pitch dark, able to take pictures in pitch dark, low image "noise" at all ISO settings, no chromatic aberrations, easy on batteries, precise optical finder with diopter, LCD visible in direct sunlight, frequently used controls on body of camera, intuitive menu system, remote control, true manual white balance, standard size threaded lens mount for filters, wide maximum f/stop at tele end, unnoticeable barrel or pincushion distortion, sturdy media and battery doors, top mounted b&w LCD with basic settings shown (# images, res, compr, flash on/off, wh bal)....etc,etc,etc.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 7:06 PM   #8

You could remove the lens adapter to make it a little more compact. Without the adapter, it would fit into a coat pocket nicely. The 2800 doesn't have the lens adapter.

Rodney
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 9:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
You could remove the lens adapter to make it a little more compact. Without the adapter, it would fit into a coat pocket nicely. The 2800 doesn't have the lens adapter.

Rodney
I do already. As for coats .. um .. I live in Australia. I don't use one 11 months of the year. I was in NYC and I thought "great .. it's pocket size" .. then i come home and thought .. "oh bugger".

It's such a shame because it's operfect for me .. i am learning the craft so i only need basic manual adjustments and I find the exposure and whitebalance settings, as limited as they are, allow me to adjust for 99% of situations (hazy conditions is what i find most difficult). It's so damn easy to use but that chunkiness causes me problems.