Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:52 PM   #11

The spyder is a pretty good tool for calibration/profiles for the monitor. I was using a spyderPro for acouple of years. Depending on how far you go with this hobby if you intend to sell prints and really want to get into color management I'd suggest getting a copy of the book Real World Color Management by Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting. Great start to begin to learn about this stuff. I recenlty puchased the Gretabmacbeth Eye-One Photo SG package and it does a great job on the monitor (not much better than the spyder IMHO although faster), but what I really wanted it for was to create profiles for different papers for my printer. This does a fantastic job, my workflow is finally capable of getting very good color from start to output on a number of papers now. It's not an inexpensive product for sure but does work as advertised.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:56 PM   #12

I would like to add another point of view about backup ...

Now, I no longer rely on CD or DVD backup, kind of tired to keep track, and frankly, I do believe more on HD reliability.

I did backup on a Big USB HD drive, very rapid , and easy to synchronize with "life" data on the main HD of the computer.

Also I added another big HD in the computer, even more rapid to sync another set of data, plus, this second drive is all set tolet me boot up in case windows get weird (It did happen to me :G)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:22 AM   #13
Administrator

Diitto (I prefer to rely on hard disk drive technology).

I've seen 20+ year old hard disk drives that still work fine (for example, a 5MB Seagate Full Height Drive I boughjt in the early 80's). I've seen 5 minute+ CDs with errors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:04 AM   #14

I save all my pictures on the HD and DVD. IMO it's very unlikely that something happens with both of them at the same time.
I use Roxio drag-to-disk program. Works good for me .
Is double-layer feature good for this? I know I can store twice more of data, I just wondering if it doesn't affect the quality?

Joe! I did a little search about Eye-One Photo SG. Very interesting stuff, but for me it would be way too much. And it really is not an inexpensive:shock: ($1,400) For me it would be like driving a formula-1 around Brooklyn:G. Thanks for the info anyway!

I just found out that my motherboard is Intel 915 GV with 1 PCI Xpress and 2 PCI slots and FSB up to 800 Mhz. So can I just upgrade from 533 to 800 and install a desent graphic card without any pain?
I understand that my questions my sound strange for computer experts but I'm not the one so I apologize in advance.

Thanks

Alex
AK-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:30 AM   #15
E.T

KCan wrote:
Quote:
I did backup on a Big USB HD drive, very rapid...
One wrong bumb and that backup won't work anymore...
Also depending on enclosure HD inside it might be running quite hot.

Just go here to see how "reliable" HDs can be.
http://www.storagereview.com/map/lm.cgi/survey_login
If you don't want to register and participate by submitting your HDs use login data from here.

And remember that small cramped cases are worst thing to happen for HD reliability, even more if you put two HDs directly on top of each other. (with multiple HDs there should be always air space between them and fan making sure there's airflow cooling them)

Considering blank medias avoid unknown brands and "El Cheapos", some of those are complete junk and best used as BB gun targets.
From CD-Rs Plextors (made by Taio Yuden) have propably best quality, also Verbatim Datalife Plus should be quite good. (without Plus and quality can have considarable variation).

From DVDs you better forget DL, because of their structure they don't tolerate so much deterioration.
So best choise is single layer DVDs, Verbatims are generally one of the best.
(naturally their price is higher than generally found El Cheapos)

Here's lot more about different medias.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/

AK-66 wrote:
Quote:
I just found out that my motherboard is Intel 915 GV with 1 PCI Xpress and 2 PCI slots and FSB up to 800 Mhz. So can I just upgrade from 533 to 800* and install a desent graphic card without any pain?
Yep, that limit is caused by processor.

But considering updating to newer graphic card looks like you might have run out of luck:

All chipsets (except 915 GV Express, which has integrated graphics exclusively) support one x16 PCI Express slot

Finding PCI graphic card might be little harder (and all those are propably much slower in 3D/games).
And only x1 PCI Express graphic cards I know are made by Matrox and again those aren't any faster in 3D.
But except gaming there's pretty much zero use for faster graphic card, all current graphic chipsets are well adequate for normal use of Windows/ordinary software.

Some years ago there was little talk about using heavy parallel calculation capability of GPUs for image/video editing but I have heard nothing after that.
So what counts is 2D quality, meaning mostly quality of RAMDAC. (if you use CRT screen)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:28 PM   #16

E.T,
While I agree in principle that a hard drive does open you up to new types of problems (like bumping the drive while its on) you also have to take care of your CD/DVDs properly or you'll have serious problems there too. So both have their issues.

To me, here are the things to take into account.
Assuming you buy really high quality media...
And you store them properly...
And you actually put the effort/time into backing up your pictures onto DVDs/CDs...

Then they are probably the best way to go. If you use write-once media you won't delete them by mistake and you can easily store them elsewhere. And if your images are important to you, this is a good thing.

But those are non-trivial assumptions. The worst, to me, is the time. Backing up doesn't take loads of time but people don't do it. Backing up to hard disk is very, very easy. And if you don't do the backups the rest of your system doesn't matter.

I back up to hard disks that I only turn on for the express reason to back stuff up. Then the window of deletion or corruption is very small. Its simple to do (I have a batch file that drives robocopy to do it all) and I actually do it. I didn't back stuff up to CDs even when I had the stack of media right there.

I fully endorce those links you gave, by the way. Very good sites. Anyone reading this thread who cares about getting good writable media or who cares about hard disks should look around those sites. Extremely good information there.

AK-66 has already said that he isn't going to play games on the system, so getting a 3D card is almost pointless. This makes getting a PCI card acceptable. It was unclear to me if that chipset wouldn't support 16x PC-X, or not support a graphics card on a slower PC-X slot. He isn't play games, so putting a graphics card in a slower PC-X slot shouldn't be a problem.

In fact, your comment about Matrox video cards is what I would recommend. They do 2D better than anyone else, they use top quality parts and make very good RAMDACs. They fit the bill very well (if you aren't play games.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:54 PM   #17

I've seen somewhere in the forum ( don't remember which one) that someone backs up on DVD and keep them in the local bank in the vault.:idea:

Is Sony CD/DVD-R considered good? That's what I'm using.

As I'm not gaming, I will look for Matrox card you guys mentioned. Just could you please specify name/model . I went to their site and I couldn't see anything that meet my needs. Maybe I just don't understand:roll: Looks to me like they specialize in security monitoring or something...
My chipset doesn't support 16x PC-x, just regular PCI. Will I be OK with it?
The reason I want a separate graphic card is not only image quality but also to free up main memory. Am I right?

I also have some questions about CRT monitors, but probably it would be better to start a new thread .

I'm glad this thread became popular. I'm sure that, besides me, there are a lot of amateurs around having similar questions that stopping them from going foreward.

Thanks a lot!

Alex
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:12 PM   #18

I wouldn't be surprised if you're built-in video card used some of the main memory for its video memory. But I don't know that for sure.

Quote:
I just found out that my motherboard is Intel 915 GV with 1 PCI Xpress and 2 PCI slots and FSB up to 800 Mhz. So can I just upgrade from 533 to 800 and install a desent graphic card without any pain?
I took this to mean that you did have 1 PCI Xpress slot (but that it wasn't 16x), but maybe that isn't true.

Here is a link listing a variety of Matrox video cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

Here is a link to (what looks like) the only Matrox PCI card they sell:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814106164

I've thought about coping my pictures and storing them in my safty deposit box. It has the space, costs me nothing and my images are worth money and are irreplaceable. Sounds like the proper criteria for storing something in a secure location.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:46 PM   #19

Thanks for the link, Eric! After reading reviews it looks exactly what I need. I think it will be no problem to install it myself.

Quote:
I've thought about coping my pictures and storing them in my safty deposit box. It has the space, costs me nothing and my images are worth money and are irreplaceable. Sounds like the proper criteria for storing something in a secure location.

Eric
I really think this is a very good idea. Images are valuebles. People keep there jewelery, money, etc. - why not images? And I'm sure you have some images that worth more than money.They are memories.

Regards

Alex
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:57 AM   #20
E.T

AK-66 wrote:
Quote:
The reason I want a separate graphic card is not only image quality but also to free up main memory. Am I right?
Memory reserved for integrated GPU should be adjustedtable from BIOS.
And for 2D use (/for framebuffer) even something like 8 MBs is well enough.

Looks like that Matrox's PCIe x1 card is low profile card so I wonder does it include normal backplate.
http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstatio...ducts/home.cfm

Sonys should by quite good, although they have used really many factories for making those so quality can vary.
Other equally important thing is compatiblity with writer, have you checked burning quality?
If you have Nero just go to Nero Toolkit and select Nero CD-DVD Speed, then go to "Disc Quality" tab.
You can do this after burning disc or scan discs burned earlier.

If you don't have Nero test program can be downloaded from here:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote