Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:17 PM   #1

I'm moving up to a dSLR (woo hoo!).* I*have been looking at the Canon 20D and the Konica Minolta 7D and have read great things about both. * ** *I have two issues and would love to hear your opinion: * ** *1.* I have heard that Canon has better picture quality, but after looking at the sample pictures available here I'm not sure I agree.* What do you think??* (By the way, I*take almost all people pictures -- children -- on-the-move and posed.)* ** *2.* Does it matter to you that the 20D has 8 MP while the 7D has only 6? * ** *Thank you for your help.
baiqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:25 PM   #2

Welcome to the wonderful world of DSLR photography. You'll soon figure out the difference between taking pictures and photography. There are a few things you will learn:

1. This will be expensive... decent lenses cost a lot, probably more than your camera body.

2. Good glass is an investment, camera bodies will come and go.

3. You'll never be satisfied. Somebody always has a better lens, flash unit or filter or whatever.
4. Your pictures will be better... much better as you learn how to use your syatem.

5. Megapixels are important, but are mostly a sales tool. You can take great pictures without a lot of megapixels.

6. Pictures right out of a DSLR aren't going to look as good as what your point and shooter gives you, You'll need to "fiddle" with them to make the DSLR a real advantage. once you learn, you'll be amazed.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:31 PM   #3
Administrator

Skin tones are a big plus of the Konica Minolta DSLR models in most lighting (incandescent auto white balance leaves something to be desired, but daylight is great)

But, you can shoot in raw and process the images using a number of image editors/raw conversion tools if you decide the camera's processing is lacking. So, either tool can produce excellent images.

The Canon probably has the "edge" in some areas (for example Autofocus speed, and frame rate). But, if you're not shooting fast paced sports like tennis, there is a big difference in pricing now at most vendors (the KM model is much less money, especially after the $200 rebate in the U.S.).

The biggest benefit of the Konica Minolta models is antishake (it works well). I recently got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and I've been quite impressed with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:06 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your helpful info.* WILDMAN helpfully pointed out that the lenses are the investment and that camera bodies come and go.* I guess that now I should decide if I want to start investing in Canon lenses or Konica Minolta.* It seems that the 7D might be the way to go -- if the camera body has AS built in I won't have to spend the extra $$ on AS lenses, right?* Which would you recommend and why?* Thanks again!
baiqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:19 PM   #5
Administrator

To be frank, I have not been *that* impressed with most zoom lenses I've tried so far on the 5D.

It all depends on what you want to shoot. The Konica-Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 is a very well liked lens (as is the comparable Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 ). So, that would be a good one to start out with if you don't shoot as much on the wide end and need a brighter lens. If you do shoot a lot on the wide end of the lens, also consider the older Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 (discontinued now).

The primes are quite good (28mm f/2, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, etc.). If I had to pick one, I'd say the 100mm f/2 is easily the best of the bunch.

For an inexpensive zoom with a bit better range compared to most, look at the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. You can find it for around $100 used. I've been using it for a few days and it's growing on me (good focal range, brighter than the 18-70mm kit lens, and it's sharper "wide open").

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote